Awesome AppleCare Service!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lotzosushi, Mar 2, 2010.

1. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Hey guys, just thought I might post an awesome experience I had recently with AppleCare...

So I bought a 15.4" MacBook Pro unibody (upgraded from '08 to '09 model) just over a week ago and the first night after opening it I noticed there was one tiny stuck pixel on the middle left of my screen! After having 5 Apple laptops before I have never had this problem and for a $2,500 machine I expect to have a perfect laptop!

I remember reading about Apple's pixel policy before somewhere and the requirement for a fix was 3 or more in order to get a replacement. For the first week that I had this new laptop I tried every way to fix it by myself...resetting pram, running those pixel fix flashing videos, etc. and no luck. Finally I took it into the Apple store and the genius told me what I had expected to hear, they don't do repairs or exchanges for only one stuck pixel. A little aggravated I decided to call AppleCare and they were nice enough to authorize a repair at the store for me! :D

Next day I take it to the Apple store, and to my surprise the Genius tells me that they'll just go ahead and replace the entire machine rather than leaving it there to replace the screen. Sooo once again AppleCare has served an outstanding job as it has been in the past for my iPods and iPhones. Just thought I might share this with whoever has the same problem with their new machines. As long as you call in within the first week or two of purchasing the machine then they will most likely authorize an exchange! =]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Glad to hear a positive story and congrats. All too often this site hears only the negative, so its a breath of fresh air when something good happens :)

3. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Haven't had good service from Apple since my iMac G3 600. :mad:

4. Swampcat macrumors newbie

New to forum, and (sort of) new to Apple computers (not counting the Apple IIe I messed around with years ago!).

My (so far, only) Applecare/Genius experience was fairly good, too.

I bought a Macbook Pro late last summer (I guess not too long after the last refresh of the line?) -- I bought the 17" one with the matte/antiglare screen. Kind of a heavy outlay but I tend to throw myself into stuff when I set my mind on it.

On the advice of friends, I did the safe thing and spent more to get the 3-year plan. Good thing, as several months later, my hard drive took a dirt nap. I hadn't even gotten to use it all that much yet, as I was travelling a lot for work (not with the macbook).

I had heard that Apple reps can be a little conceited, but I didn't find this to be the case (well, the kid who I was dealing with when I bought the thing was a little like that). I assume it helped that, although I was clearly new to Macs, I didn't just run to Apple saying "it's broken" and actually took time to diagnose the thing. Probably a little defensive on my part, having heard how arrogant some Apple reps can be. Anyway, my diagnosis turned out to be spot-on (yay...?) and I indeed had a dying hard drive.

With no fuss and muss, a work order was set up, and my Macbook was set for repair. The only "negative" was that the model line was still pretty new, apparently, and they didn't have the hard drive in stock. I asked to pay the difference on a potentially faster hard drive, but they didn't have any suitable replacements, either. So I had to wait 2 days to get my Macbook back.

Anyway, pretty quickly I had it back, with the minor inconvenience of having to come back for it a few days later, and so far, knock on wood, the hard drive is behaving OK. I hope I don't have another incident with the thing -- I can't say I trust the hard drive and hope Apple takes care to watch what they put into these Macbooks.

5. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

maybe because you havent bought a computer in so long! :D

6. farmermac macrumors 6502a

You were within 14 days... You could have simply brought it back and said you were unhappy.

7. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Grrrrr;) ... to explain; this was ...2001? ... had a DOA and then multiple problems for a few months after ... but the service was great ... repair guy came to my house 3 or 4 times pretty sharpish too. After that I switched to a G3 iBook and being mobile no one would come out to repair it was pop it in a box and send away to the Netherlands. This was the end of good service for me. Had a stack of problems with the infamous G3 didn't get much better with the G4 iBook. I had 4 G5 iMacs that needed long drives to the "local" Apple place. It had gone from "Someone will be with you tomorrow sir" to "Drive 100 km to X town!" Which is 400 km for a repair. Sometimes I'd have the exact same problem and have to go back again. :mad:

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja