Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
I was wondering if anyone else has a setup like this:

gmail: me@chrismuench.com (google app hosted through gmail)
mobile me: ***@me.com

I forward all my email from gmail to mobile me and archive on gmail. This gets me a great spam filter and searching/backup of email. I give out my gmail address to people that I don't know very well (such as online shopping) and I give out my mobile me address to people I trust.

This reduces spam and backs up e-mail and makes it searchable if I need it.

I also get the benefit of push notifications on my iPhone and everything else of mobile me.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
I was wondering if anyone else has a setup like this:

gmail: me@chrismuench.com (google app hosted through gmail)
mobile me: ***@me.com

I forward all my email from gmail to mobile me and archive on gmail. This gets me a great spam filter and searching/backup of email. I give out my gmail address to people that I don't know very well (such as online shopping) and I give out my mobile me address to people I trust.

This reduces spam and backs up e-mail and makes it searchable if I need it.

I also get the benefit of push notifications on my iPhone and everything else of mobile me.

Google offers ActiveSync for Gmail, so there isn't any point to forwarding everything to MM or using MM for syncing since Google already offers it for free.

http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=apple

...as far as iCal and Address Book, each support syncing w/ Gmail.

blasto333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
The only problem is that it uses exchange. You can only have 1 exchange account and I already use that for work :(

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Best free mail is GMX.com I never had a issue with them give it a try, they forward up to 10 addresses to you address

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
I give out my gmail address to people that I don't know very well (such as online shopping) and I give out my mobile me address to people I trust.

Just a suggestion: Set the catchall address in Google Apps and then give a unique address to people/sites you don't trust (e.g. amazon@chrismuench.com). Then you can always tell who is giving your address away (or selling it), and you can block a specific address if it gets a lot of spam.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Just a suggestion: Set the catchall address in Google Apps and then give a unique address to people/sites you don't trust (e.g. amazon@chrismuench.com). Then you can always tell who is giving your address away (or selling it), and you can block a specific address if it gets a lot of spam.

This is a great suggestion. I've been doing this for years at all of the websites I sign up for. Then, when one of them inevitably sells your name off, you can filter that email address directly to the garbage...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I actually go the other way - I have mm forwarded to gmail. I do lose push, but that's ok. My personal email is stuff from friends and family that I really don't need to see the second it comes in (if it's that urgent they text).

The reason I do this is to get all of my email in the gmail web interface, which is about 100x better than mm webmail. I love the rest of mm, but the webmail is just embarassing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.