Awesome experience at school :D

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lozzy1234567890, May 10, 2009.

1. lozzy1234567890 macrumors member

At my school, there are macs for several departments, the art, music and media departments. while i was doing music gcse (im 16 btw) i noticed that the music techer, even though he knew alot about macs, he was having problems with his mac pro.
    The problem was that every time he went into itunes, and every time he chose a song or playlist, it asked him for a username and password due to a proxy error. they rang up the IT department, ask asked them to help, as they were the ones who does all the computer stuff, so they came over, and had a look. they were completely baffled, they had no clue what was going wrong and so they called Apple for help. they described the problem to them, and like the IT department, they didn't know what to do.

now, i have a macbook, but i can't connect the the school internet using ethernet, without changing some proxies, to my schools one so i had some experience with proxies. i asked the music teacher if i could try and fix it, and he said he would let me try, but didn't think i'd fix it, so i set off to work.

first thing i did was recreate the problem, and like he was saying, it was a proxy error. so i went to safari, preferences, ethernet settings, change proxies and had a look there. turns out he was not using a proxy to connect, so i changed the proxies, and then tested for the problem, and it now doesn't say there is a proxy error, so i, a child of 16, who is lazy about work, had fixed a problem that the IT department and Apple could not fix!!

Just telling you my story :):p

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thats good that you figured it out but thats REALLY sad the IT dept couldnt fix a proxy issue...

3. Biolizard macrumors 6502

I don't know why schools employ IT coordinators as they all seem to be useless (massive generalisation I know). They could just pay Computing students like me to do the work better :D

You're doing Music GCSE and your school uses Macs? I thought Microsoft had every local education authority under their thumb! Not like the US where schools favour Macs.

4. Eyedn macrumors regular

x2 there, when i was doing gcse's there were no *macs* at all. sad sad times...

5. lozzy1234567890 thread starter macrumors member

i dunno about that, but my school only uses Macs for media art and music, everywhere else are PCs, sadly, but i can use them without problems. also i think maybe because my school is sorta a private school/grammer school, ands its for the deaf, which i am :D so, its all goooooood :p

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

My school never even got computers till the year I graduated (2000). Once they got em noone could touch them...ya...go school....

7. lozzy1234567890 thread starter macrumors member

i was wondering, since you didn't have computers to easily edit it, how did u do your coursework, did you have to write it over and over again, doing all the corrections? i use my macbook, office 2008