Awesome HTML5 Drawing Program

Discussion in 'iPad' started by melman101, Feb 8, 2010.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That is neat, but how do you actually save files meaningfully on an iPhone (and therefore the iPad)?

3. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Well it seems to have a save icon at the top, that becomes a link to a png. Then you hold your finger on the image and save to camera roll. (I believe).

Edit: doesn't work so well on iPhone. :-( Just tried it. Hope they fix it for iPad.

4. drtyrell macrumors member

drtyrell

Jesus, yeah, there is nothing more innovative than downloading all the uncompiled source code. Give me a break. HTML 5 isn't to be certified into version 1.0 until 2012. Have fun dragging clients into that nightmare. My advice is to learn proper OO programming and get into Flash or Plug-in development.

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Competent web developers use HTML, JavaScript, CSS, PHP, etc. Why get into "Plug-in development" (sounds like a term from 1998) when it is on the decline? Who is your client--restaurants and bands? Keep hanging onto the past. I have no problem bringing my customers cutting-edge technology that is based on a standard. Advantage me.

6. bozzykid macrumors 68020

By past, you mean the majority of users who are still on IE? I'm not sure what world you work in, but for most developers, they are required to develop for a certain audience. And generally that audience consists of mainly IE users who do not have HTML5 support..

7. drtyrell macrumors member

drtyrell

Yeah, how about that Facebook photo upload tool? Where's your Java client? Where's your HTML 5 client? Oh that's right! Just this month a company with 375 million customers and money to burn DIDN'T USE HTML 5 but a plug-in.

The more you understand application development, the more absurd HTML5 or 6 or 7 makes any sense at all. You can't get 3GL performance from tokenized 4GL or 5GL languages. HTML5 (when it finalizes in 2012) will be good for terminal interfaces to cloud solutions. BUT, without fiber optic 100 gig lines in every household, you're not going to see folks replacing real business apps anytime soon.

HTML5 wasn't even on the charts before the iPad demo was aired with countless plugin blocks not functioning. Now we have a forum packed with Apple employees trying to create a buzz about it. Sad, really sad.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Apple got what they want. They want it to be a HTML5 vs Flash battle to hide the real reasons they dont include Flash. At the end of the day, not including flash on the iPad has nothing to do with HTML5.

9. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

This is so true.

Why do 99.99% of all restaurant sites suck hard.

I had someone the other day ask me to print of a menu for fricking Jack in the Box.

I had to tell them it was not really feasible given they have a stupid menu made with a stupid plug in...

Web developers who don't understand how and why people use their websites are horrible and should all be fired tomorrow. Unfortunately there are a lot of them. Fortunately it would likely open up jobs for capable people.

Websites should not be made to "be cool" or having spinning, worthless and bloated graphics. They should be there to provide information and if possible present advertising or whatever other means they use to make an income.

Google actual weighs the speed a site loads at for both search engine ad rankings and organic search rankings. I hope they take extra points off for sites that use flash.

Google is big on the user experience, so it won't be long before people who rely on flash and not the fundamental tools of html, css and the rest are going to get punished even more and become even less relevant.

No competent web designer needs flash or any plug in to develop their site. They are tools for the lazy or incompetent.

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

That is absurd as most of the major browsers already support components for HTML5 and did so before the iPad announcement, and IE has components being integrated in the next version.

11. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

HTML5 has been on plenty of people's charts for a long time now, and for a good number of people the first introduction was probably the YouTube HTML5 beta that started a while back. Now we have a forum packed with users who want to push revisionist history. Sad, really sad.

12. MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

Yeah, accepting reality really bites, doesn't it. :rolleyes:

13. DaveSW macrumors 6502

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That looks pretty neat, especially if it were usable on a multitouch device. I suck at drawing straight -- or just what my mind wants -- with a mouse.

As far as the whole HTML5 vs. Flash debate, get Flash to run without sucking up so many CPU cycles. I just checked at Hulu, and watching a 480p clip of Saturday's SNL was taking 75 percent of one CPU core. This is not a slow CPU by any means. Big, "bloated" iTunes takes about 25 percent playing a 720x400 video at 1145kbps.

I totally get where Apple's coming from since Adobe has so much control on a lot of Internet features. I'm no programmer, but if HTML5 allows the same -- or better -- functions with better performance, bring it.

15. smetvid macrumors 6502

Those same people that abuse Flash in this way will end up using HTML 5 to do the same exact thing. Give them the ability to throw anything into a website and they will do it.

It is also your opinion on how websites should be, a lot of companies profits have jumped because of the advertising potential of Flash. The internet economy has boomed because of it. That is why so many want to use it. It isn't just because of Youtube. I have clients asking for Flash everyday because they want their sites to be more dynamic and alive then just a brochure on the internet. this is the way the internet is evolving just like it did in the past when it switched from text based to text and image based. Dialup users at the time had to wait forever for a site and many said the internet should stay text only to keep it fast to share information.

16. smetvid macrumors 6502

Let me ask this question. If dynamic visual rich web content is such an abomination then why is HTML 5 adding all of this stuff? If true web design is HTML, CSS and jpeg then shouldn't HTML 5 stick to that rule? The fact is that the web is moving into a more animated aspect. The web is no longer about sharing information but getting people excited about that information as well. Many view this as the need for animation and complex interactive content. Again this is a debate on concept and theory and different rules apply to different designers in different markets. Just because some web designers may have clients that don't want complex graphics doesn't mean another group of web designers is the same. I know very successful award winning web design companies that have too much work flying at them for rich dynamic content and are hiring new Flash designers all the time to keep up with the demand. Maybe these companies are clueless but right now they have a lot of work and to me work = good.

17. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I don't have a problem with the whole animated website issue. I do have a problem with a private company having control over a web standard. Flash is owned by Adobe, HTML5 isn't.

18. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Wow. I can't believe how nice that app is and how well it runs on my 6 year old PowerBook — It's only using around 10% of my CPU. That's incredible. Any equivalent Flash application would lag my computer and possibly crash Safari.

19. bozzykid macrumors 68020

So you don't have a problem with HTML5 using h.264? I guess we will see how many publishes have your same feelings in 2015 when they have to start pay royalty rates on a technology that is the opposite of free and open.

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

21. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I have mixed feelings on it. I'm all about using an open standard for video, but, as it stands, ogg is a less efficient format. I'd like to see all of the browsers support both ogg and h.264, that would be the ultimate solution. I'm not entirely sure what the reason is that both can't be supported and developers can choose the format they want. I know that kind of sounds like we'd be trading one evil for another, but by the time 2015 rolls around, who knows, it may all be moot. We may be on the verge of using something else. Who knows.

22. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Rich content is NOT the issue. It is that flash is a non-standards compliant way to deliver rich content. In addition to being non-standards compliant, it is completely proprietary from authoring to delivery via a plug-in.

Nothing about flash makes the internet better, its just that YouTube adopted it and the video aspect made it pretty popular.

With HTML5 there is now a chance to correct a glaring omission from HTML and issue rich content in a standards compliant manner.

Why does it matter?

Right now Flash has no practical competition. Thus Adobe does not need to invest resources into improving the performance of flash rendering as long as it is acceptable.

What does this mean? This means that for those of us not using Windows and Internet Explorer (i.e. mobile browsers, OSX, Linux, Solaris etc), we experience Flash as a huge pile a dung because no body can develop a better flash plug-in because it is closed and Adobe can't justify making it better because of the low market share. And even worse, Flash is used very inappropriately by web developers for things it should not be used for (i.e. the main content of a web site).

IMHO, the faster Flash becomes either A) Open sourced or B) dies the better.

23. joecommisso macrumors newbie

joecommisso

this is sweet, a fun little app. it's a good time waster! i really hope more web developers start creating things like this.

i wish evony would use html5 haha i'm addicted to that game thanks to a coworker and could picture being lazy on the couch playing it on my future ipad lol

24. smetvid macrumors 6502

That is your opinion of course.

It is abour Rich content when we are talking about the performance on an Ipad.

http://code.edspencer.net/Bean/index.html

This example which uses HTML 5 eats 30% of my 3 Ghz cpu on my Imac. On the Iphone it is pretty much dead with a photo update once every couple of seconds. The cpu was maxed out because HTML 5 is still a scripting language just like Flash. So for those people that mainly hate Flash for hogging the cpu are not going to see much difference with HTML 5. The only problem is that it may be much harder to turn off HTML 5 compared to Flash. I am all for turning off Flash if it helps your performance but I as of yet do not know of anyway to turn off portions of the canvas in HTML 5.

25. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

There is a difference between rich content and performance. You can code our site with plain old HTML today that will run like sludge on any machine.

Just because some websites might run slow is a stupid excuse to make rich content part of a closed platform (flash) on the web.

There will always be poorly coded websites whether in HTML5, Flash or plain vanilla HTML, and I find that these sites aren't worth visiting anyway.