Awesome iPhone compatible Alarm Clock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mcmanus7, Dec 15, 2008.

1. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I started to look for a really good alarm clock that is iPhone 2G and 3G compatible... something that I could charge my 3G with and just a overall good alarm clock....

After digging through the usual contenders (iLuv and iHome) I decided to see if I could find any other companies that make a good alarm clock thats 3G compatible...

Fortunately for me my search ended shortly after it began...

This is what I stumbled onto...

[​IMG]

It is the Sony ICFCD3IPS iPod and iPhone Dock Clock Radio
    It retails for $99.99 in the US and $129.99 in Canada
    here are the specs..
    Digital AM/FM Tuner : Let's you choose from a wide variety of radio, talk and music programming.
    LCD Display with Brightness control
    iPod® operation: Play/Pause, FF, Rew
    iPod® charger: charge your iPod® while you listen
    Remote control: gives you access to your iPod® from anywhere in the room
    CD-R/RW Playback capabilities: allows you to listen to your collection of CDs

It has 2 alarms that can be set to play from cd,radio,buzzer,iphone/ipod..

The area that docks is spring loaded... so when you're not docking the iPhone/iPod it just pushs in..... sound quality is really good compared to the normal clock radio....

it has automatic DST and time zone settings.

Overall I would say I am VERY satisfied with this product...

2. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just a follow up... it seems like you'll be able to use a number of cases with the dock... it's very deep.. my main case is a seidio innocase II and it can dock with no problems

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Nice find, may I ask where you bought it? Cheapest one I saw was $95 at Amazon but if you know anything that is lower that would be great. I'm thinking of getting a new one this Christmas - but before that

Does the remote let you access/play your iPod app on your iPhone?
    I've read this Sony product doesn't offer good sound quality but like everyone said, I'm also after the alarm feature and remote playing functionality if it does work on iPhone.

4. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't really even think of the functionality of the remote that came with it.... but sure enough you can fully control your iPhone using it... select different folders etc.... sound quality is pretty damn good.... it doesn't have a very large speaker but for the price its very good quality... I purchased mine at the sony style store here in canada and it was 129.99 by far a better product then the 2 alarms I found at my local apple store

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Can you try playing with the remote and see if it could play the iPod function of the iPhone while it's docked in this Sony's Alarm clock?

Also does it have any error/warning messages - Airplane mode? And I assume too that you're iPhone is running on 2.2 with this Sony's alarm clock?

6. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I've been waiting forever for the Luna X2, but I've become fed up. Thanks for posting this, I might just buy it...

7. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright time for another update..

My 3G is running 2.2 and the airplane mode error does not come up.... it simple just starts charging like it's docked into your computer..

You can access the iPod functions fully through the remote provided... simply select iPod mode and your iPhone wakes up in ipod mode ready to go..

8. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmmm seems like if the phone is not 100% docked correctly you'll get the airport error.. happens maybe 1/5 times i try.... it charged my phone perfectly last night with the phone turned off...

9. tombee macrumors member

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Yeah that usually happens too on most accessories which says they're compatible with the iPhone but if not properly docked you'll get an error. Happens on my FM transmitter.

11. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can wake to the iPod i'm not sure if you can set one specific play list to wake to though... the sound quality is really good for a clock radio

12. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I was trying to find this gadget at one of the nearby Sony stores but they didn't have it :( I don't want t pay for shipping mostly for electronic gadgets priced in a fairly huge amount.

13. key714 macrumors member

14. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

15. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh wow looks like the americans are way more lucky... we only have 2 to chose from for sony... I would have jumped all over the XDR-S10HDiP

16. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Anyone see the article about clock radios coming out this January? For the life of me I cannot find the web site and cannot remember. There were 2 or 3 new ones coming out, and one looked really nice and small. It was reportedly coming out Jan 09.

My nightstand is fairly small, so i like the ones with a small footprint. I have a nice TImex, but it is not shielded.

Let me know if anyone saw that mysterios article. Early Alzhiemers, I think...

17. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

just thought I'd give all you canadians out there a heads up... futureshop is now stocking this alarm clock at 99.99... which is $30 discount from what sony is selling them and is even cheaper then what sony usa is selling them for since its 99.99 cad not usd....

check it out online or in store... but in store they're selling EXTREMELY fast... both the futureshops by my house got 20 in each... store 1 sold out yesterday (as soon as they stocked them on shelfs) and store 2 i got the last one that wasn't a demo....

18. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'm about to take a plunge but I need answers to these questions if someone can help.

1)Is there someone out there that can test a Switcheasy Capsule Neo on the iPhone 3G if it will dock properly on this alarm clock? (Use the universal dock adapter probably)

2)Is the power cord coming from the back of this clock?
    The reason why I'm asking is that the edge on my table is only 5.6 inches.
    The specs for the product says 6 x 5.7 x 4.6 in
    If the power cord is coming from the back then I'd have to either force it to bend which is a bad idea

I need the answers asap hopefully before 6pm PST so I can make up my mind lol before their promo for free shipping ends

19. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. I don't have a switcheasy Neo... so I cannot test it out... but the only case I have that hasn't docked is the Otterbox defender.... the SE Colors docks, Seidio Docks.... the docking area is really large.... the otterbox almost docks.. but the dock port is too far in for it to reach haha... I'm almost positive a SE Capsul Rebel would work as well however I'm never putting that case back on my iPhone to test...

2. The power cord comes out of the back... however it's a very thin wire... its not like it's a thick thing coming out... bending it will not harm it at all

Also remember if you're buying from Sony you have a 30-day return period.... Alarm clocks ordered online can be returned in store....

20. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Bad experience with Rebel? If you're positive that Rebel would fit, then Neo should fit as well - wow that's a plus

For your second answer, well the edge of my table like I said is only 5.6 inches (just measured it) and the specs of the alarm clock is 6 x 5.7 x 4.6 in assuming that's L x W x H - so I'm 0.1 inch short on my table. Do you think that will be fine? Then bend the wires at the back? I'm on hold on their customer service line for 15mins now - not cool.

And so far thank you mcmanus, you're like my Sony customer service rep :D

21. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha yes bad experience with the rebel...

As for it fitting... you shouldn't have a problem..... I just double checked and the wire shouldn't be a problem... its about the same thickness as speaker wire... very bendy... just aslong as you have a clear outlet... the plug in is a sizeable powerblock...

22. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Ok I'll take your word for it! I'm sold. Their cust service lines are so busy as I'm still on hold for 20mins ongoing.

Woot I'll buy this once I get back home! My gift to myself! Merry Christmas to me from me haha

23. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

24. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'm just worried about that 0.1 inch short on my end, and the bending of the wire but hopefully everything goes well like you said.

I'll update you once I get it ;)

25. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I just finished my agonizing hold for more than 30mins, I spoke with a tech agent, they said I have to remove the iPhone out from the case for it to be fit on the dock. But yours mcmanus fits with Seidio Innocase right? And you're positive that the Rebel will fit? Hmm..

EDIT:
    If you would be so kind enough can you take a picture of that sliding dock that they have? Just so I could make judgment call whether it will fit a Neo or not.