Awesome Looking Laptop and Assistance, Please!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacsBestFriend, Jan 8, 2009.

?

Which computer should I go with?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2009.
  1. The MacBook, and you are a Mac sinner for even thinking of getting a PC :P

35 vote(s)
    94.6%
  2. The Dell XPS

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. The Sony

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. The Sony MiniPC: it is all you need

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Now, first off, I want to own a mac. I am looking for a 64-bit PC to compare to a 2.4Ghz MacBook. While surfing the web, I found this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...8896&SR=ces_2009:products:computers:vaio_p:ss

THIS IS WHAT APPLE SHOULD HAVE!!! I think if apple offered something like this, with a better processor (quad-core ARM coming up), along the same price, they would have a hit! This is awesome and dell must be kicking themselves because they have the POC they designed.

On another note, I am trying to decide on three computers. A Mac (my favorite), a Dell (Blech, but preferred by my family) or a Sony (Great styling!). Which do you think would be best for me to use from now (eighth grade) through the majority of high school. I need a computer that will last and still be going strong in three years, considering how I will carry my computer everywhere (Maybe will look back on that MicroPC above in a year or so). Here are the choices:

2.4Ghz Aluminum MacBook, $1550 on MacMall, I will lose all my savings for it.

The Sony (Speced) $1380
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53GHz), Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit, 4 GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2), 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm], DVD±R DL / DVD±RW / DVD-RAM Drive, ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM, LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™), WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology, Extended Battery

The Dell (Speced) $1394
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 64-bit, Obsidian Black with Leather Accent, Edge-to-Edge 13.3" HD WXGA LCD with 2.0 Megapixel Camera, 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write), NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500M - 256MB, Dell Wireless 1515 802.11n Half Mini-Card, 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, High Definition Audio 2.0, Dell Wirless 370 Bluetooth Module

I am really in a tight spot and I never thought I would consider a PC for the computer I spent all this time saving for:eek:... If anyone would like to recommend a computer that would be muchly appreciated, I still have my moms iMac:cool: to give me a reason to be on the forums and I will definately get a mac for my next upgrade: oh, just popped into my head; resale!!! will the resale for these computers be as good as the Mac? If I stay with the Mac I can wait until late-February for Snow Leopard. ;)

Thanks, Josh:)

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The Mac is 64-bit as well you know. 64-bit has to do with the processor and the OS, the Intel processor in all three is 64-bit and all of the OS's (Both Mac OS X and Windows) are 64-bit. And go for the 2GHz MacBook rather than the 2.4GHz one, the 2.4GHz one is not that much more powerful and the price does not justify it in comparison with the 2GHz one. That would bring all three of the computers down to about the same price range.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The mac is 64 bit.
    Snow Leopard is due May/June time (WWDC)

4. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Huh? I thought the current MacBook only has 32-bit RAM :confused:. I am only getting the 2.4 because I need the backlit keyboard. I am not sure if the sony has one though...

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Your kind of comparing apples and oranges.
    -Last time I saw a XPS it was a really big machine.
    -The Sony netbook thing is a total feature lacking device compared to the others you listed.
    -The MacBook will be about $200 more than the Dell or Sony.

Although I didnt understand your first statement about "I want a Mac but the economy is heading south"
    What do you mean? Mac's will be some how less usable/efficient during an economic slump?

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

just go with the macbook. in the log run its gonna save you time and money. and hell it looks better.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I've typed on one of these little types of laptops before, and it's a pain in the ass.

8. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i tried as well. im sure you would get used to it. but unless you REALLY need it, i dont see the point in putting your hands through the trouble.

9. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

The XPS I am looking at is a Studio/XPS Hybrid. I question I have is f I should spend that extra 200 bucks:confused: and the NetBook is spec dead, but it is so small it can go anywhere, lol. The economy thing refers to that I want to save more money now (stocks?) and this may not be the right time for a mac. sorry, I am really bad at getting the point across sometimes...

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If the netbook is appealing because of its portibility than you dont really need the specs you were talking about do you?:confused::confused:

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The current MacBooks are not limited to 3.3GB of RAM like they would be if they were not 64-bit. So I don't know what you mean by the MacBook only having 32-bit RAM.

12. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Don't forget... the 32 vs. 64 bit saga means very little if your system doesn't take more than 4GB's of Ram. Which the Sony, does not offer.

Where 64-bit really comes into it's own is when you're running apps requiring (and having access to) more than 4GB's to run it's computations in. Like 3D rendering or stitching massive 20K panoramas in 16bpc colourspace. Not something ideally suited to be done on a NetBook type device anyway.
    For your avarage iLife-style 32-bit will suit most people just fine.

In addition... search the forums and you'll see several users with 6-8GB of Ram in their current MBPs. For some reason (Apple firmware locks apparently) 6GB seems to work best for the moment. And yes... all Macs are 64bit in hardware. Snow Leopard will complete the 64bit transition in the OS.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Theres no such thing as 32BIT Ram, 64bit means an operating system can recognise more than 3.5GB of Ram of ANY KIND

32bit Operating Systems wont recognise more than 3.5GB of RAM, but 64BIT can recognise up to 16,000GB's

If you dont understand how 32 and 64 bit works then just dont let it worry you, its not going to affect you if it doesnt mean anything to you.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Man I dont even want to think about what we are going to be doing on computers when we have to go 128 Bit. Funnily enough it will PROBABLY be in our lifetime.

15. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

If your already spending $1300(Sony or Dell) I dont think $200 more is that unjustifiable..

And as NT1440 said, if the Netbook is appealing to you as well as full featured computers, then you have a questionable margin of specs that you are trying to fulfill

16. Molopo macrumors regular

Dell also came out with new studio laptops starting at $1100. They look pretty sweet, and both have discrete graphics (if you're into that kind of thing.)

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I think people should stop seeking PC advice on any forum with a derivative of Apple or Mac in the URL.

I also think Netbook is way too sexy a word to waste on these underpowered plastic toys. From now on, I'm calling them kneetops or thighbooks.

Back in the day, a dude I know had a Sony "Picturebook" PCG-C1R. It had an 8" screen and sorta ran XP. It looked like a doll's computer. Typing on it was a ridiculous 1 finger affair. The Start button looked like a grain of green rice.

No kneebooks for me.

*EDIT* and what the hell does 64bit have to do with the economy?

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well if this question was asked on a PC forum then the comments would have the opposite spin on them.

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Umm. Yes. Yes you're right. And if it was posted on an abacus forum, the bashing would be across all brands.

20. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Sorry about the whole economy thing. I couldn't word what I was trying to say right so I just deleted it.

The reason I wanted the opinion here is because on the MR forums I have seen people be told they should buy a PC vs. the Mac they are looking at. MR is not only fanboys, but also people just trying to help others out :). That is why I posted here instead of a PC (I don't even know of any) because I would be eaten alive by fanboys ;).

21. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

Since you said you want to use it your entire high school career, I would go with the macbook. If you want to save money the white macbook seems it would be fine for what you are doing :)

if you were to get a PC it would be bogged down in 4 years for sure :)

22. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

Get a 2.0 GHz MacBook, unless you love the illuminated keyboard. The 0.4 GHz difference is pretty negligible when you're running dual processors with a 1066 FSB (unless you want an extra frame or two per second playing games).

Macs are well known for keeping their value and "lasting longer" than Windows-based computers -- though I think that has more to do with the owners enjoying their computers and wanting to hang on to them, rather than sell them after a few years for the next big flashy Windows PC.

Specs are essentially the same. If you've been using your mom's Mac you know the OS's very different, and the features packed into OS X greatly outweigh Vista.

The P-series is a netbook. If you need a minimalist computer for checking email and keeping recipes, the P-series is for you. Its small and neato and stuff, but let's face it: you're in 8th grade. You want to do music, play games, etc. Don't get a P-series.

23. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

go with the macbook..I got mine just over a month ago and i love it:apple:

24. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Thanks! This is really the info I was looking for. I only put the P-Series up because I thought some people would say this is all I need. Thanks again!:)

25. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Those specs do not reflect those of the P-series (the one in the picture) teh P-series has an intel Atom Z530 1.33GHz, 2GB RAM, and intel GMA 950 graphics