Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lxuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I posted here last week asking some questions about my new white 2.4 ghz macbook. It had the squishy side problem, which was mildly annoying at best, not really a concern, what did concern me however, was the bad chirping I got from the microphone when recording a video with photobooth, or imovie, etc.

The laptop was only 12 days old and since I live near the apple store I purchased it from, I packed it up and took it over. I went to the front, asked to speak to a manager and just went through the problems with her. I made a video with photobooth, we both said hi to the camera (very apple huh? hahah) and she took it into the back where it was quiet to listen to the results. The outcome was classic. "It chirps! We have a chirping laptop!" at which point a few of the surrounding employees began...chirping lol. Oddities aside, the manager immediately asked "alright so which one is this? 160 gb with the superdrive? and no sooner had I told her "yes maam" had she brought up a box for a new one and I walked out the door.

Because the laptop was less than 2 weeks old, it was a simple exchange, no apple care needed to filled out, etc. The staff could not have been more accommodating and while I realize it was a problem, it should have been taken care of regardless, the manager really made me feel taken care of, I got NONE of the attitude or questions "how did you break it" kind of stuff im used too with the geek squad at bestbuy.

The new laptop (on which im writing this :p) has zero side flex, and to top it off, the chirping is now down to what I think most people would consider acceptable noise. I mean I dont think these camera's and mics are supposed to be dead quiet, and now the level of noise picked up is so low its barely noticed. The previous laptop picked up so much, the chirping was so loud that it rivaled my voice in recordings. Now its so low I have to turn it up all the way and put my ear to the speakers to hear much of it.

All in all, a delightful experience at the apple store and an even more delightful transition to mac from this decade long windows user (we got our first PC in 94 when I was 7 and I used windows till 3 weeks ago!)

:apple: for life

-lxuser

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.