Awesome Thrift Store Find

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cmstuber, Dec 24, 2015.

1. cmstuber macrumors newbie

Found this today at a thrift store. It's a bit dirty and needs a little bit of elbow grease and some love.

Haven't totally opened it up yet. But it's a 500mhz, updated graphic card, and 768m ram.

No power supply brick. Dont even know if it runs. But can't complain, it was nearly free.

Anyone have a spare or unused power supply laying around? Message me if you do.

Attached Files:

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Theres one on eBay for like $20

3. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Also, I recommend cleaning the case by taking out the grey part. Pop the internals out, and look at the inside of the housing. Remove the 2 phillips screws, and slightly loosen the 4 tore screws. Then turn the black know looking things to unlatch the sub-case from the acrylic housing. Then lift the grey section out. This will allow you to get to all the areas of the case to clean.

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Use PlastX & micro-fiber cloth from an Auto Store to clean the plastic. Ground the plastic after installing the gray section back in because the cloth will cause a static build-up.

5. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

What a great find!
    I frequently do trips around those types of stores, but yet to find a G4 cube there at a 'thrifty' price.
    Last year a so-called 'thrift' store in the next town who regularly put ads on-line, were showing a G4 Cube without power brick or screen, priced at.............130€ ($140)!! Needless to say, I didn't follow that one up.
    These are good fun to work on , I've done 3 so far. Had a power supply failure on one - the brick blew with a loud pop! Replacements around here can be seen as high as $50, but after several months I found one for $20.
    Enjoy, & have fun!

6. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

That's an excellent tip about grounding after use of a micro-fiber cloth. Never thought of that, and will bear it in mind.