Awesome.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krafty, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

So get this, I'm driving out the student parking garage, going down the levels. I turn, and came across a girl who was backing out, so I stopped. She kept going, and I honked my horn, and she still manage to bust my left signal light. Another girl who was standing to this side tried to yell and stop her but no good. We both got out, and she asked if I was ok, I looked back and saw there was a line so I said "Dont worry about it." I pulled off to the side, called my mom and noticed she just drove on by. I'm having a ~love~ week and things to do which is why I didnt get cops involved (unless she pulled over).

Flippin awesome.

[​IMG]

How much do you think repair will be?

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

explorer headlamp?? 50 bucks at the most, nothing too major and would have probably cost you more to get the insurance involved. just drive to an autoparts store and see how much they are, most are pretty easy to install yourself, if you have some common mechanical knowledge.

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

1999 Kia Sportage.

Heh, an explorer is what hit me. The glass is shattered but the bulb is fine.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

FWIW, the bulb is cheaper than the glass. I'd venture to guess it's upwards of $100.
    I had a plastic tail light busted on an truck I used to drive and it was $160 installed. I installed it myself and it was still $100.
    You may be better off just buying the lamp housing yourself and fixing it. Make sure you align it properly though because a misaligned headlight is like having your brights on all of the time and that sucks for on coming traffic.

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

it it's the part I'm thinking of, about $31.00

link

6. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

looks like an explorer haha my bad....shouldnt be expensive though

7. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Yeah, that's it.

8. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

may i suggest buying a louder horn as well?? since you will be at the auto parts store, and apparently yours wasnt effective haha

9. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

The thing is, I sat behind her for a nice 3 seconds, until I knew she wasnt going to stop. Horn or not, she should have been paying attention to her review mirror and looking behind her while backing up. I honestly fail to see how she did NOT see me sitting there.

10. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Then you definitely did the right thing. Not getting insurance involved will save you 3 times that amount, not to mention all the time wasted waiting for the police to arrive.

You must be the last driver in Hotlanta who is courteous and nice. Endangered species....

11. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

My mom said to eitehr get her license plate number or report it as a hit & miss. But I have enough money to buy the part myself so I'll take care of it. Just cross my fingers she doesnt tell my dad...

12. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

dont report it as a hit and run, she didnt run, you told her it was fine so she left. Its not worth the trouble with insurance and police reports, you pay 30 bucks get a new light and hope it doesnt happen again. I still think a new horn is needed, maybe a train horn? or one of those big rig horns, they even make horns that are like speakers so you can record a message and it plays it. I can see it now, HEY BI!CH STOP, I SAID STOP! lol

13. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Dads will rant and rage, huff and puff, then understand. I would suspect he'd be more worried that you are OK than over a silly light lens. Dads are like that, over protective to their li'l girls... And if he forgets that, your Mom will remind him right quick...:D

14. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Seriously, it's not worth the headache with the insurance company. Just buy the part and change it out. It will take you just a little time and save you tons of headache with your insurance company. They won't cover the repair anyway as it is well below the deductible (unless you have a crazy policy).

15. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Thanks for the responses. I knew what I was doing for the most part. I didn't want to take money from her cause I didn't know how much the part was. The part I'll replace myself, the small dent is really not an issue at this point. I mean, the car had scrudges and the tire hold on the back of the car is half rusted so its not an issue.

16. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I called my mom again and she said she overreacted, but if anything I should make her pay for the headlight (>_>, cause I knew the cost of it when it happened...). I recognize her face, first 3 letters of the plate, and car, but dont think im going to call her out on it unless she approaches me.

All I need is the glass cover, think I can find that anywhere?

17. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I had a similar thing happen to me in my last car. It was a black Mazda 3, and while driving through a parking lot a guy started backing out of a parking stall without looking in his mirrors. I couldn't go forward because there was a bit of a jam-up of other cars in front of me, and I couldn't get it into reverse fast enough to avoid the collision altogether. I did avoid a shot in the passenger door though :D

Anyway, I got his information (the car was only a year old and in great shape and I wanted it fixed). Then I took it in to the body shop and was shocked to find out that the damage was over $2,500 to repair. Apparently the headlamp housing for my car was almost $800 alone. Then I had to get a new bumper and a new front corner panel. The paint job the car came with required that the new parts be blended in on all sides so they would match with the rest of the body. There was also a bit of damage to some hoses and fluid reservoirs under the dented area.

Needless to say, I'm glad I got his information, there's no way I could have ever afforded to pay to get it fixed on my own.

SLC

18. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Yeah, you should have just gotten her phone number. It's not worth getting insurance involved but you still shouldn't have to pay. Still, only a cheap repair so no harm done and you'll know for next time.

19. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Yeah, I have to get a new housing that the person linked me too, cause the one on it is cracked. I dont know, I mean, if I see her again I don't want to call her out like that.
    We'll see.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Question.. were the scratches on the bumper and the scoffing of the pinstripe on the side of the hood already there, or caused by her backing into you? If the latter, paintjobs can get up there, and you might need to make a claim on that.. Problem is, you're either paying out the deductible on your policy to do it (causing your rate to go up), or she does, which means filing a report on it..

BL.

21. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Already there, the only thing I heard was the crack, and since we were on a ramp, the corner of her bumper (I think, smashed into the light, cause my car didnt budge much).

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nobody ever sees you when you drive a Kia. ;)

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I did that to my old toyota long time ago. I just used some silicone and glued the pieces back together. :p

24. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

When I'm not driving my big truck I drive around and old diesel F250 that I bought for $50. I've had people hit me in parking lots and not damage the pickup at all, their cars don't seem to fare too well...

When I'm walking through parking lots and people backup without I either whack their truck with my hand or kick the side of their car. I ALWAYS makes them stop, I hope it scars them enough that they start looking when they back up.

25. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Good point, but it gets me from point A to B.