AWFUL BROADBAND Internet connection!! Wow. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wad11656, Mar 6, 2010.

1. wad11656 macrumors member

wad11656

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can CLEARLY see, I have an AWFUL internet connection. I am 90% sure that it is the modem because it is QUITE old and frankly, no LAN connections even work from it anymore. (The modem doubles as a router and we use its wireless connection. We have an unused router ready to use after we get a new modem.) I'm guessing that the DSL port or SOMETHING is very unstable and somehow weakened(??), but I honestly don't have a CLUE. It only shows a connection once every, say, 3 minutes and it lasts for say, 30 seconds maximum. (using LAN) The only internet connection we can basically use is wireless, and as you can see, it is GOLLY GEE AWFUL! I looked at our average then the United States average, and was appalled. We have been using a terrible, caveman-speed internet connection. It has been so long, and I have not been able to completely convince the owners of the property (yes, my parents,) to buy a new modem, even after mentioning it many, many times.

Linksys by Cisco modem (This is NOT the modem I use--just an example of the one I'm talking about and thinking about getting in order to improve my internet speed):
    http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/CM100?lid=LearnMore
    (Yes, I have Windows operating systems, so I am able to meet the minimum requirements listed.)

Anyway, once I DO get a modem, does it matter which one I get? I hear that Linksys has the BEST routers, so I assumed that it would have the BEST modems, but it's like $79.99! Are there modems out there just as reliable for a cheaper price? Does it matter if I get a "top-of-the line" modem, or are they just basically all the same thing? Thanks for your help!

--wad11656

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

a router wont change your internet that much, routers only deal with between the socket and your machine, try changing supplier first ;)

3. wad11656 thread starter macrumors member

wad11656

Thanks for the reply. But the problem is, the average download/upload speed for the supplier is MUCH higher than what I receive. Therefore, some hardware issue must be going on. I was speaking of getting a new modem, not a new router, though--there's a hardware issue with the DSL and LAN ports in the modem is what I'm thinking.

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

have you contacted them to have a test done on your line? and have you googled for support boards to do with your supplier,

5. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Turn your modem off for a minute, see if that fixes it. What is your internet plan? As in, what speed?

6. wad11656 thread starter macrumors member

wad11656

Besides the tests I've already done? And, no, I haven't been able to find any support boards, but have been able to find customer support. I mainly notice the slow speed of my internet connection because I find myself to be a heavy internet user (and constant downloader--I am definitely not just a casual internet browser.)

7. wad11656 thread starter macrumors member

wad11656

I have reset the modem multiple times. As for the second question, I realised that there is a 768 kb plan and a 5 mb plan and am not sure which one we are using. I should be able to figure that out tomorrow.

(SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE-POST!)

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm assuming that this is a DSL connection. See whether you can find these stats in your modem control panel:

Edit: I see from your link that it's cable. I don't know whether these stats are relevant to cable.

Attached Files:

9. wad11656 thread starter macrumors member

wad11656

Naw, it's DSL. I just provided that link to the Linksys modem because I was referring to it earlier as a possibility of a new modem I should be getting.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Have you tried calling them?