Awful Screen Hinges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarcBook, Aug 12, 2008.

1. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

My poor old MacBook Pro (passed its 2-year birthday in June) has the most awful hinges. Pushing the lid release button doesn't result in any popping up as you'd expect from a MBP or PB G4, so opening it's a little tricky.

As well as this, if you tilt the screen down to around 45 degrees from vertical the lid slams shut (unless you catch it, of course). So basically all the original tension in the screen that is meant to pop the lid open and keep it still at any angle is gone; presumably the hinges have come completely loose.

Has anyone had experience with this at a Genius Bar? I'd like to take the MBP to my local Apple Store (Southampton, UK) to get the problem sorted. Do you think they'll replace the hinges for free? I don't have AppleCare, though, so if it'll cost, any price estimates would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I would call the Apple store and see if they can do it in-store. I don't think that they replace anything, just tighten the hinges.

3. jugglemyplums macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my 2.0ghz macbook pro. Mine doesn't close by itself but the screen is pretty loose and wobbly. I would really like to have it tightened at an apple store. Does anyone know how much that would cost because I'm not under applecare either? I wouldn't think it would be too much.

4. MusicallySilent macrumors member

Not speaking from experience but I think I recall other people having loose screen hinges, and they just went in, the techs tightened them quickly and sent them on their way. Provided nothing needs replacing, depending where they access it from free is likely if it is an external screw, if they have to open it up, you may be looking at 20-50 bucks.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-Duo/Display/85/14/Page-7/Display

Buy that picture of the i fixit guide it looks like they need to take off upper case, so likely 20-50 bucks.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

its unfortunate but pretty much anything that needs replacing besides RAM and the battery needs top case removal.. it's not hard to get the top case off though.