Awful WiFi Speeds w/ new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninethirty, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Hey Everyone,

So I've got a new 15 inch i7 MBP. SSD, 8 Gigs of ram.. it's awesome. The machine itself is insane. Crazy crazy fast. However, it's not nearly as fast in terms of WiFi speeds as my previous Macbook Pro. Using Unison to download usenet files, I was getting about 5 megs/second (I'm in Holland, our internet is crazy fast). With the new one, I'm getting about 500k/sec. I suppose it could be a coincidence and something could be wrong with the network, but it's been this way for days.

Anyone have any idea what might be slowing things down? Could something be wrong, or would it just not work at all if that were the case? Hoping I don't have to send it in for service...

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Have you tried downloads from other sources?

Unison doesn't require any special configuration, like port-forwarding or anything. When I used to use it there had been a couple of times I had slow downloads of specific files, but I blamed that on my usenet provider.

That's where I would start, looking to see if you get normal download speeds from direct downloads in your browser.