Awkward buttons on Siri remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by soberbrain, Sep 13, 2015.

1. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I don't understand why the top 2 buttons are menu and TV input. Since they are the closest to the touch area, it should be buttons most frequently used. It would be better if play/pause was next to menu, like in the previous Apple TV remote. It seems awkward to have the touch area and play/pause on opposite ends.

Attached Files:

2. Rigby macrumors 601

The top right button is actually the Home button, not TV Input.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

play/pause, is a tap the touch portion, so it's already as close to the touch section as you can get.

menu is used quite frequently.
    this isn't a menu button like on your TV that brings up a settings menu, its the back button.

and the home button takes you all the way back, quite useful when you're 20 layers deep in netflix trying to find something to watch

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

With the current remote you can just hold down the Menu Button to take you back to the Home screen. So not sure why the extra button. Of course I did not know that for a long time. Maybe simpler to have two buttons.

6. soberbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

soberbrain

You're right. I read the remote could also change TV input and thought that was the button.

Surprised there's 2 buttons for those functions. On the current Apple TV, clicking menu brings you back and holding it down brings you to Home screen.

7. soberbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

soberbrain

You can even set up a menu to pop up when holding down. I used this to bring up closed captions when I couldn't understand dialogue. Actually a neat feature on the new Apple TV that you could ask Siri what they said during a show and it will rewind and turn on closed captions temporarily.

8. Rigby macrumors 601

Perhaps they think the Home function will be used more often now that the device has real apps and not just a nested menu system of "channels".

9. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

10. tomtad macrumors newbie

Does anyone know why the don't just call it a back button?

11. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Do you mean like fast forward and rewind?
    If so those are just swiping left and right on the touch pad.