Awkward OS X question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Darnok Atruk, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Darnok Atruk, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

Darnok Atruk macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 Macbook (a1181) running Snow Leopard, and recently upgraded the hard drive to a new SSD. I did everything I should have done; I backed up my old hard drive, installed Snow Leopard on the new HD, then used Migration Assistant to move everything across from a time machine backup.

Here's where it all turned to ****: it stopped with 16 minutes to go (a common problem I hear), and I had no choice but to prematurely remove the backup drive. My computer now refuses to read the drive with the backup on it (so does my gf's Macbook) meaning the only accessible copy of my old hard drive I have is the actual old hard drive itself.

My question, then, is this: will it work if I buy an external hard drive enclosure, then use Migration Assistant to take the data from my old hard drive to my new one?

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

It's been awhile, so maybe you resolved this already.

Did you try repairing the backup drive with Disk Utility?

3. COrocket macrumors 6502

I've found it easier to get an enclosure and copy the HDD to the SSD using something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

LOL! Yeah, a whole 8 days. The reason I'm laughing is that I'm thinking about necro-threads that are, in some extreme cases, 8 years old. :D