Awkward work situation with my Boss

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gman71882, Jun 5, 2014.

1. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

Does anyone know of any Mac Based Network monitoring software that can be installed to track network usage of Mac computers on a network?
    Specifically to look for Torrenting activity?

I have come to believe the owner of the company I work for is Torrenting Movies while at work, so I am curious if there is anyway to find out about it?

We received an interesting letter from our ISP, which stated they received a request from a Copyright Enforcement Group about illegal files being downloaded through our IP Address.

I have admin access to everyone's computer here at the company, and have found no infringing files, and the only person's computer I don't have access to is the Owner, who has a laptop which he takes with him everyday.

Is there anything I can install on our network to monitor activity like this and see If he is using any P2P torrenting applications?

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

3. hologram macrumors 6502

^^^ What he said.

Unless you're trying to get fired so you can collect unemployment. :eek:

4. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Tell him about the letter, tell him you checked every computer in your reach and found no malicious files. Don't mention his computer. Ask him what's next.

That's what I'd do.

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I think I'd make very, very certain that the letter was really from your ISP before doing anything.

6. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

First, I don't know if I'd mess with the owner. But if you want: If you have admin rights, can't you monitor via the router? You could also block the big torrent sites by IP or address.

7. firedept, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You as an employee should be bringing this to the owners attention. Make him aware that you have not found any such files on the workplace computers. It is then up to him as to how he wants to approach the ISP provider. You have then notified him of the situation and it is no longer your responsibility. It is his as the owner.

Do not accuse the owner of anything. Let the onus fall on him, if in fact it is him. Could also be a mistake by your ISP provider as well. You do not have all the facts and until you do, it is wrong to assume anything.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

As others have said in regards to dealing with the owner. Also change your wifi password.

9. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

You should bring the matter to his attention & give him the letter. It's his company & ultimately his responsibility. Especially if you present it along with a report showing you looked into it & found no evidence.

It's then either false so a problem for your lawyers or the owner will know you're basically saying "I know it's you, stop it". He then either stops or continues and it gets worse at which point you refer further communication directly to him. Either way it's not your problem.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

To actually answer your question, this is often something that can be detected from the router. If varies how to do it depending on the brand and type of router you have. Find out your router model number then look in the manual to see what type of logging features it has.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I would just give him the letter, and ask, "What, if anything, do you want me to do to look in to this or respond to our provider?" Don't let on that you've already done some snooping. Let him make the decision.