AX Recognized, No Internet Access

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by crezman, Mar 16, 2009.

1. crezman macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a green light from the airport express, my computer recognizes the wireless device, the utility says everything is set up, I have five strong solid black bars and when I open my browser, I can't get on the Internet. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I have followed all the instructions in the book, but I can't find any answers for this.

Someone suggested to restart all machines and wait and I did. That hasn't worked.

Will the AX work with any modem? I have an ARRIS from Comcast. The internet is working, so that's not the problem. The computer is interacting with the AX, so that's not the problem, the problem seems to be that the AX and modem are not compatible. Does anyone know? My next step from here is to pay Comcast to fix this--if they can!

Thanks!

Crez

iBook Mac OS X (10.5.6)

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

To reset an Arris modem properly, you need to remove the coaxial cable before you power-cycle it, and for no less than 2 minutes. When you say the internet is working, that is, you have tested with a Ethernet cable directly to the iBook and you can get online? Does the homepage not load at all or does it say "Error connecting to server"? For starters, here are a couple things to take a look at. First, check your Network System Preferences, with the AirPort connection highlighted. Click on Advanced to get the good stuff. Look at the TCP/IP tab for the following information: IP Address, subnet mask, router IP, DNS servers. Are they all filled? In AirPort Utility, same thing, highlight the AirPort Extreme, what's the IP address the modem is feeding it. If the IP address for either the router or the computer is 169.254.x.x the device is just talking to itself.