Azden or Sony UHF wireless system?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RebootD, Jul 28, 2009.

1. RebootD macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've been asked to film a meeting and I am without a wireless mic system. It is a small room (20ft) so any of the models I've looked at will have the range required for recording.

I'm using my little canon HV30 so I know I can plug in just about anything with a mini plug and I've found a few models that I could budget into the project and one that would be a bit out of my range but has good reviews. All shoe mountable and all UHF.

1. Azden 105 (no LCD, screwdriver turn to change channels) $269
    2. Azden 305LT (LCD and buttons on front) $369
    3. Sony UWPVI (LCD, buttons and two antennas) $439

I will use this in the future but not very much so spending a fortune doesn't seem feasible. If anyone has any experience with the above products I'd love to hear your comments.
  2. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    One option to consider is not to use a wireless system at all. A 20 foot room is small enough that you could run a cable to a microphone in the center of the room or on the table or podium (depending on who you're trrying to record). It would certainly be cheaper (assuming you already have the mics -- even if you didn't, a decent mic is a useful investment) and you'll get better sound quality without static, hiss, or dropouts.
  3. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I should have gone into a little background detail sorry about that.

I'm a professional graphic designer who ended up picking up photography and video editing/filming skills in my first job 9 years ago. Since then I've stuck with design (my own company) but I still get requests for photography and simple video editing/shoots but it is a very small portion of my work so I barely have a 'kit'. (Canon HV30, RODE VideoMic, couple of lights, tripod etc).

Their last session the crew (who they can't afford and I edited the project for them and now they want me to do everything) used wireless lapel mics and specifically asked for them (which I don't own but they are willing to put up some cash to acquire them) because their presenter moves about the room and isn't stationary. Plus the audio turned out great and hence they want to replicate the same thing for this round.

I hope this helps.
  4. matteusclement macrumors 65816

Jan 26, 2008
    I feel your pain.
    I do all sorts of gigs like that.
    Look at zoom h4 or h2
    if you mean only the presenter has a lapel, just get the cheapest one you can get. More channels on the unit, the better.
    Look at a FireWire unit to go with a laptop, the you can choose mice that best suit the gig. I have a pair of apex pencil condensor mice that work for everything. Questions?
  5. FX120 macrumors 65816

May 18, 2007