Azureus BitTyrant eating my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bit-polyp, Oct 19, 2010.

1. bit-polyp macrumors newbie

Hello, and thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with my strange problem.

I have a mac with a fairly limited hard drive - I previously had about 28 GB free - so I often download torrents to my external hard drive. In this case, it was quite a large file, about 50 GB, going to the external. At some point I started up the application when the external was not attached, and the following problem happened. The application tried to automatically download the 50 GB file to my local hard disk, then told me there wasn't enough space. Fine. But in scanning the hard drive for the space - i.e. creating a "dummy file" like torrent downloads do, with the full size of what will be the completed file - my hard disk was showing as completely full.

By deleting various things I managed to get this back up to 2-3 GB or so, but obviously nowhere near the 28 I had before. Now, there is absolutely no file on my computer, visible or invisible, bearing any reference to the name of the torrent I was downloading. So there is nothing for me to delete to get all that space back. What can I do?

I should note that I made a dumb mistake - I deleted the original torrent file thinking that might get rid of the problem - so I can't access anything through the torrent anymore. I just have this ghost eating up a huge swath of my hard disk. Any advice?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. bit-polyp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. Using DiskInventory X, I was able to locate the ghost file. It was hidden inside the invisible "Volumes" folder before the partition of my hard disk. It had apparently created a ghost version of my external HD, with the same icon and title, and saved the folder in there. So by accessing the invisible folders I was able to grab the file and delete it. (It hadn't shown up on any searches since it was not technically on the "hard drive".) Thanks again for your assistance.