Azureus crashes, fixes/alternatives.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by digitalpencil, Mar 12, 2008.

1. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I'm running the latest version of azureus on MBP/10.5 and the vast majority of times I attempt to quit, it will crash on shut-down. The problem with this is that when I reboot azureus, half the time my torrents begin again.
    i.e. currently i'm running a 700mb download which I had 400mb of before it crashed, once I start it again, it informs me that I still have 400mb of the download but my percent downloaded is returned to zero, meaning once the torrent is completed i will have downloaded 1.1gb of data for a 700mb file!
    It's as if it knows there's data already downloaded but doesn't how to treat it so it just starts from scratch.

Are there any ways to stop this from happening and stop azureus from crashing on quit? I've tried reinstalling/updating but this hasn't helped.
    I'm aware I could switch to something like Transmission which is lighter but I use features of azureus like selective downloading and have never found Transmission to be as fast.
    Are there any other good clients that are more robust than Azureus but offer the same features? I like uTorrent but this is M$ only, any of you got it running reliably through crossover?

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

hey,

I'm running it no prob on a MBP with 10.5

Try checking the Azureus forums. I've installed it on many different computers with diff os's and never had probs.

3. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Checked Azureus forums, couldn't find anything that applied. As I said, i've tried cleaning it off and reinstalling/updating but it still crashes on quit most times.

I've been looking into running uTorrent via crossover but understand it's a ram-hog. Would Wine be easier on resources?

4. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Given up on Azureus and am running uTorrent under crossover. V.fast (700k+ down) and significantly lower demand on resources than i first expected. Even under crossover, it uses 1/2 RAM, CPU demand compared to Azureus! :D
    Definitely worth a try for anyone else wanting the same feature-set as Azureus in a more stable and lower resource client.