Azureus creates temp files I can't find

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steve_hill4, Apr 6, 2007.

1. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I'm sure Azureus creates temporary files on my Macintosh HD which I can't remove. Say I want to download NeoOffice through a torrent and use that client, but I download to an external HD to save space, it still takes as much space on my Macintosh HD and if I cancel the torrent at any time before it finishes, it doesn't seem to give the storage back. What's worse is I can't find files to delete.

I recently cancelled a torrent 30GB in size in transmission as it kept restarting. Even though I had files still showing up to 4GB each, the torrent said only 400MB downloaded. I tried it in Azureus to see if that would recognise already downloaded chunks and it didn't, but the 37GB or so I had left on my Mac HD shrank to 7GB and I can't find any way of getting the space back.

When I get info for the drive it says 65GB used and when I select the drive and get info on all files and folders within it, they come up as 35GB in total. I considered Virtual memory, but this is currently 10GB according to Activity Monitor. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A 30G file, what are you downloading?

just use spotlight. it will five you the location of files with your search criteria.

3. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I know on the windows side torrents can allocate a footprint of the file you're downloading in its fullsize. Perhapse rebooting?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think this might be the key. I don't have much experience with file sharing apps, but it might be writing to the Virtual RAM before the file gets copied across to the external drive, in which case restarting will reset this.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I know that Azureus has an option to do this or not. I leave it off and it allocates space as necessary.

Are the temp files not in ~/Library/Application Support/Azureus/tmp?

6. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Spotlight finds nothing. I think I have also rebooted since last said download, but will in morning again to be safe.

I have also looked in every possible Azureus associated folder but to no avail. Just seeing if someone else had experience with similar problems.

7. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I know this doesn't really help you, but you should try using the BitTorent client, Transmission. It's really small (0.6 mbs) and uses very few system resources. Also, it stores all the incomplete and complete files on the desktop which would prevent this problem from happening in the future.