Azureus - extremely slow, Java issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Meldar, May 3, 2008.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

Hi, I use Azureus and it downloads/runs extremely slowly across the board.

It's a Java-based BitTorrent client, and my conjecture was that since I've allocated only 512MB of my 1GB of RAM to Java through the Preferences panel, it's running slowly. Perhaps it needs more than that to run efficiently.

I was thinking about allocating more RAM to Java to alleviate this (that cooling fan is blowing hardcore whenever I open a Java applet, and when Azureus is running it's blowing up a storm as well) - but I've heard bad things about allocating more than half my RAM to Java.

Thing is, I'm not running anything else, not FireFox or iTunes, only Azureus...so for one, is it my lack of RAM for Java that's making it slow, and for two, is it bad to allocate more than half my RAM to Java?

I have J2SE 5.0.

Thanks in advance; this has been bugging me for awhile.

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Azureus over the years has just become a bloated application. I'd give Transmission a go, it's been getting better and better since 1.0.

3. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Yup, it is bloated, but works OK-ish for me on Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz/1GB Ram...

The killer feature for me is the remote access Web interface "Azureus HTML WebUI"... am unaware of any other torrent app that has this.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://clutchbt.com/

OP have you opened the incoming ports and tweaked the bandwidth usage so it doesn't clog your connection entirely? Azureus benefits from greater then 1 GB of RAM as well.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Are you running in Leopard or Tiger? Are you ever getting a firewalled status?

Also, I'm not sure about how you allocated 512MB of RAM. I can't find that option anywhere.
    All I find is the size of cache (preferences>files>performance options) and the limit of that is suppose to be 32MB less that your max VM size. So if you have 512MB running for cache :eek: that will totally blog your system down.

Another way to help ease processing power is under preferences>interface>display is to make the GUI refresh rate higher - every 5 secs or 10 secs instead of every sec.

6. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

Alright, I'm back, sorry for the delay.

@ Ebel, I do have Transmission but it's even slower o_O

Eidorian I only have 1 GB of RAM (at the moment) and I have opened the incoming TCP port (50000) by dedicating it to Azureus and telling my firewall to allow all incoming connections.

Killerrobot I'm running in Tiger 10.0.4 and I always get Firewalled.

When I said I allocated 512MB to cache, I meant for Java, not Azureus. Azureus' cache is 32MB. I went to Java Preferences and set my runtime parameters to "Xmx512m", that's how. That tweaked the amount of RAM that Java can use to cache.

And I will try the interface thing; currently it refreshes about twice a second so I'll see if fixing that will work. :)

Thanks everyone and sorry again for the delay in response.

7. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

It might be the tracker or torrent that you are using. What is the reported health of the torrent and the amount of seeds and leachers? I assume you understand that with a torrent with more leachers than seeds and peer-exchange disabled will result in dreadfully slow transfers.

8. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

Oh, I know how to torrent. These current transfers have at least 100 seeds, and at least 100 leechers.

They're always on yellow status; like I said, nothing I do will un-firewall it.

Problem is, I get download speeds of 150-250KB/s at school, on what I believe is Comcast, whereas at home I get a max of 10-20KB/s on Verizon DSL over AirPort.

I get firewalled in both places.

Is it really just my internet then? I feel kind of stupid now, because in hindsight, my Java specs don't change between home and school. :|

9. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

It could very well be your connection, seeing how it's DSL, which simply doesn't have a whole lot of bandwidth. Are you uploading a lot simultaneously? If so, perhaps you should set an upload limit. Uploading at your full capacity will also cripple your transfer speeds.

10. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

Hmm, okay, I'll just not upload at home today and see how that goes. Thanks for that tip, I had no idea DSL was so bad compared to cable.

At school it says my upload limit is 250KB/s and at home it's about 200. I guess it's a big difference.