Azureus is the best bt application for OSX?

SLJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
is "Azureus" the best bit-torrent application for OSX? if not, please recommend a better bittorrent client. thank you

:p

rccola70

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2004
California
Ya, In my opinion, I think Azureus is probably the best right now. Tomato was good in that it was nice and simple but it was really limited in options. (Example: can't change port number)

Comment

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
a agree with tomato torrent. it is the most mac like as said above. its just simple to use.

Comment

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
Azuresu !

I use Azureus on both Mac and PC - the best one i know of. Also easy to limit upload speeds, or just get the one file that interests you.

Comment

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Azureus is relatively ugly (though MUCH better in the last release or two) and rather complicated, but it's also immensely powerful and handles torrents in just about any language or character set without issue (I occasionally use it for Japanese videos, hence the personal concern).

I tried the standard client and Tomato, but although they're very easy to use they choke badly on some torrents (particularly those with oddball characters in filenames) and they have little customizablility (ports, caps, seeding rules, sorting systems for multiple simultaneous downloads, etc).

This new Bits on Wheels looks like a more Mac-savvy Azureus, so I'm intrigued, but I'm comfortable and happy enough with Azureus (which also has the advantage of being open source) at this point that I'll give it some time to mature before I give it a shot.

Question on BoW: The features and interface look almost exactly like a Mac-ized version of Azureus, so I wonder if it doesn't use the same core codebase. In fact, there was a beta version of Az recently that had a visual representation of the swarm that looked almost exactly like their graphic, making the connection even stronger.

Of course, if it does share the same codebase or some of it, that's probably a good thing, since Az seems to be a pretty solid chunk of software hindered only by the fact that it's Java-based.

Comment

SteveZissou

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2005
Cambridge, Ontario Canada
I really find that Tomato is the most robust and easiest to use, I've had nothing but trouble with Azeurus.
But not to be contradictory of the above posts, BUT you can change the port setting in Tomato, when you are starting a torrent before you actually hit start just click on the configuration and change the ports, number of Peers, max UL speed etc. It really has all the features that one would need.

Comment

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I also like the original best. To be honest I haven't tried Tomatotorrent, but I have Azureus, and don't like it at all. It's way too complex and un-Mac-like for me.

Comment

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I changed from Azureus to Tomato because Azureus was crashing too often in my machine. I like tomato, though - small window, simple interface, not more than what I need.

Comment

boneca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
Azureus is great on Mac I never used any othet Bit Java clients so I can't compare but this one gives you lotts of options such as porting and most important speed management.

Comment

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
mmmdreg said:
I like the original. I've used tomato and azureus too but I don't like them (even though they're supposedly technically superior)
Same here! :)

Tomato Torrent is pretty good, but I dont like how it opens a new window for every torrent. A big mess for 10+ torrents...
Azureus is just butt ugly!

Comment