Azureus (Vuze) use leads to internet connection loss

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xstux, Oct 21, 2008.

1. xstux macrumors newbie

I've been running Azureus on my mac without any problems for the past year. However a few days ago I lost my internet connection, and I couldn't re-establish connection again. After hours of bickering with my ISP, who insisted it was a problem on my computer, I noticed that at the time the connection was lost Azureus had updated. I decided to delete Azureus to see if this would resolve the problem. It did. As soon as I deleted the program my mac connected to the internet again.

Since then I've reinstalled Azureus, but unfortunately I've experienced the same problem since.

Hopefully utorrent will be available soon, but until then can anyone offer any advice?

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have the latest version of Vuze running with no connectivity issues at all. I use Transmission too, and actually prefer it now.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

another hardcore transmission user here, works great. az. is a cpu hog.

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I love Azureus, but it sounds like you should switch to transmission.

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'd still like to know why Vuze would be interfering with the Internet connection. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm assuming, xstux, that you've verified your Vuze settings?

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I had a problem similar yours back when I had a really crappy ISP supplied modem, a D-Link DSL-320G. Back when Az was 2.0 (or earlier) my internet would simply cut out whenever I started downloading something. Then, it would just cut out, from just launching Azureus, even if nothing was in any upload/download queue.

I don't know why it happens but I would open up terminal and just ping google, then I would open up Az, and as soon as the triangle appeared below the icon in the dock, BAM, the pinging stalled.

Waiting a few minutes usually reconnects me.

Got a new modem, Az works brilliantly. Netgear DG834G

7. myjay610 macrumors regular

Who is your ISP? Did they provide you with a router? Some of the routers they give you have a small NAT table, so you end up filling it up with BT connections and DoS yourself.

8. xstux thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the replies.

I live in Morocco and my ISP is the national telecoms company, Maroc Telecom. They've provided a pretty poor modem, a Sagem F@st800.

It's frustrating because I've been using Azureus with this ISP and modem on my windows based laptop without any problems for the past ten months. I've just shipped my imac out here and things worked fine for the first couple of weeks, then last Friday I completely lost my connection. Every time I went to connect I received the message "Cannot find PPPoE server". This was the case until I deleted Azureus.

I did verify my settings and, on advice, reduced the global connections right down, but to no avail.

Anyway, I'm on Transmission now, which is OK.