B/A student needs As next year

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheShinyMac, May 16, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Hey, Im currently and A/B student in a vigorous college prep school. I need to get straight As for as long as I can next year as I get an amazing reward if its done. What have you done to bump your self up to the "next level" any tips are welcome

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Study harder?

Which is not to say that you aren't studying hard now, just to do more of it.....:D

3. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Yea I do study, but maybe there are better ways of doing it.

4. RudyGrow macrumors regular

Im in grade 10 getting straight A's (3.9 GPA), and I haven't studied once since a Grade 7 English test. My "trick" is to set goals/organize your homework. if you get assigned a project monday due friday, spend 15 minutes a night rather than an hour on thursday night...

Homework is assigned for a reason, as well. If you do it, chances are you'll get higher marks (though I never do it :p)

5. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

I don't think the OP needed to hear someone say: "I'm the best, look at my GPA! You should do homework, but I'm too good for it (look at my GPA)!"

Now, for some advice not prefaced with how good and spectacular I am. In my opinion I do pretty well at school, and most of it just comes down to getting the work done, and actually answering the questions. You would be surprised how many people lose marks because they don't answer the question. So, always remember to read the question a couple of times and analyse what they're asking you to do. Then answer. It's better to have a rougher answer to the question, than a polished answer that doesn't at all relate.

King Mook Mook

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Me again.

I've been out of school for while now, but I learned an important lesson about writing essays (or essay questions on exams).

1) Lay out in the opening paragraphs concisely and specifically exactly what you are going to say/explore/argue.
    2) Then say/explore/argue what you initially said you were going to. If you have to, go back and rewrite a bit of the opening part.
    3) In a short paragraph, end the essay linking the opening, the middle bit, and the conclusion.

I suspect you have already learned this. However I found that in instances where I had to write about something I was not prepared for, if I wrote a good strong essay about something I did know about (and, of course, it has to be close to what he Prof was asking for) then I would often do well. I would either lose a couple of marks in the opening bits for not being on topic - but then get good marks for the rest since it was a good essay, or I would be told to rewrite the essay - this time on topic. This of course buys you some time.

The trick is to submit a strong essay in the first place, even if off topic slightly. It either has to be able to get a good mark despite losing some in the opening, or it has to convince the Prof to let you take a 2nd whack at it. In either case, the Prof needs to believe you are not goofing off. It might mean more work, but it will help to preserve grades. And usually, Profs are rewarding effort as much as clear and insightful thinking. So make the effort.

7. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

ABSOLUTELY.

I could have had an extra grade level, easy, if I would not have rushed, and answered what was asked, not what I thought was asked.

Another one. Papers in school are not the best place to take a controversial stand on something. As much as it might burn your soul to answer something stupid, don't kiss butt, but complete the assignment.

Get the syllabus for each course. Read ahead. Ask for recommendations on pre-studying materials. Don't be a stranger to the teacher. Again, don't kiss butt, but if they know you're there every day, trying every day, contributing usefully every day, it goes a long way.

I got pneumonia my final semester in college. I had to stay home, but was able to participate, send in related news articles, and such to help out. I still aced everything even though I missed two weeks in class.

8. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Spend less time playing games, watching tv, whatever you do instead of studying/homework.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Don't get used to it or college will rock you

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

• read the assignments carefully
    • read/follow instructions
    • answer what the instructor wants you to answer
    • provide support for your answer - so if it is math problem show your steps, if it is written assignment, good references
    • cite your sources and cite quotations
    • do your assignments early then give self break and check them over to see if they make sense

also talk to the instructors and ask them what they consider first class work, then see where you need to change your style.

11. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Oh man, cite your sources. That's huge. You can fail whole courses in college if you don't.

Get in a good habit now.

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Read assigned chapters before lecture. Helped me.