Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Hi everyone,
I have some video in Quicktime that is 7 minutes long. I am having a hard time figuring out how to cut it into 3 shorter videos, without having to spend money on Pro.....Is there a way around this?

also, when I am working on video in iMovie, I do a 'new project' but once I try to submit to video site, it comes up as a warning that it is not in proper format, ie WMV, AVI, MOV, MPG........HUH?????

After finishing the project, I click on share, then 'media browser'.....but still, same warning sign when I try to upload.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Also, remember, I am 'knew2mack' meaning I need explanation not to technical. (And yes, I DO actually know how to spell, for those of ya that ????'ed it)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Dawn:eek::confused::eek:

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
QuickTime: I suppose you could trim the video and then Shift+CMD+S (Save as). Then open up the original video again and trim it again, save it again. Then do this a third time until you have three separate videos from the original one.

iMovie: Many sites don’t support .mov files. Try exporting in AVI or another format and then manually uploading it.

content

content

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Read the instructions on the websites on what video formats (.mov, .mp4, .avi, ...) and codecs (H264, Divx, Xvid, ...) they accept and try to use MPEG Streamclip to transcode your original video (exported in best settings with the highest quality in iMovie) to those formats/codecs.

MPEG Streamclip is also capable of trimming a video, by loading the video in that program, shuttling to the positions via the J K L keys and using the I and O key to make a MARK IN and a MARK OUT. Then export to whatever format/codec you like.

Btw, that font you used looks hideous and is hard to read.

And thread titles don't accept formatting tags like [B] or [/B] .

To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Read the instructions on the websites on what video formats (.mov, .mp4, .avi, ...) and codecs (H264, Divx, Xvid, ...) they accept and try to use MPEG Streamclip to transcode your original video (exported in best settings with the highest quality in iMovie) to those formats/codecs.

MPEG Streamclip is also capable of trimming a video, by loading the video in that program, shuttling to the positions via the J K L keys and using the I and O key to make a MARK IN and a MARK OUT. Then export to whatever format/codec you like.

Btw, that font you used looks hideous and is hard to read.

Well I will take that into consideration.
And thread titles don't accept formatting tags like [B] or [/B] .

edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Yeah, after I posted it, I realized those formatting tags were there, but didn't know how to remove them. Thanks

I finally figured out the iMovie question, from the suggestions offered, but the quicktime, still stuck?

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Corndog - that's the issue I'm trying to figure out, is trimming/cutting my Quicktime video down. Thank you though for the iMovie converting, it worked perfectly.

Quicktime - I notice when it's open that it does not have any edit functions, unless I have pro.....any suggestions??

thanks

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
I finally figured out the iMovie question, from the suggestions offered, but the quicktime, still stuck?

Spinnerlys told you how you can do it using MPEG Streamclip. Without the Pro upgrade Quicktime cannot edit and save files. MPEG Streamclip is free and very good.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Corndog - that's the issue I'm trying to figure out, is trimming/cutting my Quicktime video down. Thank you though for the iMovie converting, it worked perfectly.

Quicktime - I notice when it's open that it does not have any edit functions, unless I have pro.....any suggestions??

thanks

Do you have Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)? If it is the latter: http://www.ehow.com/how_5487661_trim-clips-quicktime-x.html

If you have Mac OS X 10.5, take the MPEG Streamclip as I suggested earlier.

On a side note, I also showed you how to change the thread title, if you want.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach

thanks

Global warming?? Every little thing we can do helps - http://www.ecomates.com/GreenKre8R

Everyone loves these - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pure-Bliss-Candles/267016548553?ref=ts

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Leopard

I will head over to MPEG Streamclip. thank you

Oh and changing the thread title?

I appreciate all of everyone's help.......and patience!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

That will not work, as the OP has Leopard, thus no QuickTime X.

Leopard

I will head over to MPEG Streamclip. thank you

Oh and changing the thread title?

It really doesn't matter anymore anyway.

edit.gif

Yeah, after I posted it, I realized those formatting tags were there, but didn't know how to remove them. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.