Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I have never bought a laptop from either Adorama or B&H before. If the rMBP arrives with a dead pixel, will either companies allow a free exchange? Or there have to be a minimum number of dead pixels in order to quality for an exchange?

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
I've never had to return, but I've had some pretty *****ty recent experiences with adorama customer service. Expect to deal with applecare if there is an issue.

David T.

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
I have never bought a laptop from either Adorama or B&H before. If the rMBP arrives with a dead pixel, will either companies allow a free exchange? Or there have to be a minimum number of dead pixels in order to quality for an exchange?

I called B&H before I ordered my rMBP and questioned their return policy. I'm pretty certain there will have to be a serious defect (like DOA) or something similar before you can exchange it. However, they were great to talk too, so why don't you give them a call and ask away.

Fortunately, my RMBP has been perfect. (knock on wood - hitting head :D )

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Buy it from Amazon... you'll find better prices if not the same. I purchased my rMBP from Amazon a week ago... you have 30days to return and Amazon is pretty good a replace and returning items, i'm a regular (weekly) Prime Member shopper

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Alwaysv check the AppleInsider price list for the best online prices. Keep in mind that at Amazon and Best Buy you may have to pay sales tax. I find the best prices to be at MacMall, B&H, or Adorama. I have always found AppleCare cheaper at B&H.

http://prices.appleinsider.com

If you get a DOA Mac, trot down to the Apple store with your receipt and get a replacement unit. Why go back to an online retailer when the warranty is from Apple?

David T.

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2013
If you get a DOA Mac, trot down to the Apple store with your receipt and get a replacement unit. Why go back to an online retailer when the warranty is from Apple?

I don't know about the OP, but the "trot" down to the Apple store for me is about a 2 1/2 hour drive in each direction. So, I can understand his concern about having to deal with a with problem upon receipt of the machine.

Helen Oster

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
New York, NY
If you read the Adorama FAQ section you will see that they do not accept returns of laptops etc.
Adorama's agreement with Apple is that any issues, including DOA, must in the first instance be discussed with Apple.
So you would need to contact Apple and describe the issue, and they decide whether to deal with it themselves or if they want Adorama to replace it they will give you a reference number to quote. Then you can contact Adorama with that number. Without agreement from Apple, Adorama camnot exchange a unit.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I've never had to return, but I've had some pretty *****ty recent experiences with adorama customer service. Expect to deal with applecare if there is an issue.

Don't I have to buy Applecare?

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Both b&h and Adorama have always been fair to me when dealing with returns. If it was a serious issue like DOA, both companies have sent out replacements to me ASAP without asking for the item I had in hand first. Then again, I have been a loyal customer for years and have invested a sizeable amount of my earnings for their wares.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for the responses guys. I do have to say that I'm more concerned about dead pixels than having a DOA unit.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Thanks for the responses guys. I do have to say that I'm more concerned about dead pixels than having a DOA unit.
If you're worried about dead pixels, I'd recommend buying it directly from Apple. They have a no-hassle, no-questions asked 14-day return policy.

After that, I think Apple won't take it back unless it's really bad. Out of the 4 million pixels on the screen a few bad ones isn't a bad percentage. I've personally never seen a Mac with a stuck pixel. I think overall, the screens are good. The only issue I've encountered is image retention on my current Mac, but got the screen replaced through Applecare and it's all good now.

Generally, I think stuck pixels aren't warranty-able because it doesn't prevent you from using the machine properly. It's merely an annoyance. If you have a good case and you speak to a sympathetic employee, then you can probably get a new screen or replacement unit. But it's always just better and easier to return it within the 14 day period.

My IR case was so bad that it occurred after about 30 seconds of the screen being on. The Applecare rep on the phone was really not into replacing my screen. When I took it in to an AASP and once they saw it, they said it was awful and started the process to get the screen replaced. I'm a photographer and the image ghosting was affecting how I did my job. If I used Safari all the time, I wouldn't have noticed the IR. So it depend upon how you use it.

I've purchased from Adorama and B&H before, but never had to return anything. Amazon I've returned a bunch of stuff and they are also hassle free.

If you do buy one, I'd recommend getting Applecare because the retina MBPs are not very repair-friendly without warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.