B&H and Adorama...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John.B, Mar 16, 2011.

1. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

2. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

$2700 is Nikon's minimum advertised price for the D700. Shipments of cameras from Sendai are going to be kind of slow for a while. The 3 cameras made there are all being listed at the MAP on B&H's site. I didn't bother checking the other sites. I don't think it will be long before demand exceeds supply.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Now isn't the right time to buy any new camera with a Japanese supply stream. Canon has shut down it's factories in Japan for the time being, and I would expect their products to rise in price, also.

Dale

4. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I don't know Nikon prices, but I've been following the price of the Canon 5D mark II for a while. This fluctuates, but at the moment here it's still around the lowest I've seen. Amazon UK and Jessops are both are nearly the same price at £2,265.11 and £2279.95 respectively for the body and 24-105 L lens. Whether I'm able to buy a particular camera or not is nothing when thinking of what they're going through in Japan, but if I hadn't picked one up a couple of weeks ago I'd definitely do it now. I wouldn't be waiting for the price to drop.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I know a lot about the camera market and exchange rates... B&H and Adorama are major sellers and if the prices go up, especially when it happens with both of these sellers, I firmly believe it is out of their control. Go back about 4 years or so and you will find most pro lenses went for about 20% less. These guys are very trusted sellers.

My only gripe with Adorama is that I live in New Jersey and when they started charging me sales tax they fell off my short list for high ticket items because 7% of $2,000 is an extra $140.00 but aside from that they are a excellent store and do have some great prices on their private labeled brands. I love their Adorama Slinger for holding my large grad-ND filters and I have recommended that holder to many, many people.

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I was one of those waiting for the 5DIII to be announced and released. But I am now edging ever closer to going ahead and get the 5D2 now. Even if Canon factories weren't that much damaged (although several in the north definitely were) I figure production and shipping and the economy/electricity/infrastructure of the whole country is going to take a couple of months to start rolling again which would probably result in a delay of at least 3-6 months on anything they were going to release unless it was already on the launching pad. Buying a camera concerns obviously pale in the face of what Japan as a whole is trying to deal with. The human tragedy is just too much to fathom. However, the way that the people are stoically coping is exemplary. No looting, etc. Many countries, the USA in particular, should take notes. Anything to boost and try to stabilize their economy now is important, not that one person thinking about whether to buy a camera has anything to do with that.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

My guess is we're more likely to see impacts for the next couple of years even without a meltdown. I figure best-case shifting production offshore is likely to be a year or so out- but a lot depends on where the components are sourced from- if it's inside Japan, then we're likely looking at 3-5 years to get back to stability in transportation, power and the like.

Paul

8. rebby macrumors 6502

Technically, and legally, you should be paying that 7% anyway. It's called use tax and it's defined very clearly here

Purchasing from another entity that is not charging you NJ tax, and subsequently not paying your Use Tax, is tax evasion. Yep, millions of people are unknowing guilty of tax evasion every year. In the end, it really just hurts your local retailers that are required to collect state sales tax. This is why states are pushing so hard for some type of required tax collection from mail order and internet retailers regardless of location. In the end, it's just going to make life hell for those business (collecting/filing sales taxes is incredibly difficult for business already, let's not make it any worse).

That said, I think that the government gets far too much of my money the way it is and I'd like to keep every dime that I can. At the same time though, the best method for minimizing the amount of money I give through Uncle Sam is to change the tax code, not evading taxes that I'm legally obligated to pay and hurting quality retailers in the process.

9. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

7% seems almost nothing to me. :) Our VAT has just gone up to 20%! I always find it confusing though when buying anything in the States as the price at the till isn't the same as the price on the shelf. If you get something mail order in the US, from Amazon, say, how do you pay the tax?

I want to answer your first point but don't want to derail the thread by taking it off on a tangent. I'm going to do an old/new comparison thread the way VirtualRain did when he got his 7D. I'm hoping to do the photos for it tonight. Maybe we can continue there or please feel free to PM!

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

To contradict myself, B&H is knocking $200USD odd the 7D.

B&H Photo

Dale

11. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Wow, first time i avoided any kind of price hike...
    Ordered my stuff last week and it said the camera was out of stock. ETA: 23.3.2011. Then on Friday I get a mail saying order has been shipped completely. it arrived yesterday. The price for the same stuff right now at Adorama is 500USD more... wow..

On the other hand I did donate 200 USD to the red cross over here for Japan.
    But at least on paper i did save :D

12. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The tax is totaled when you check out if it's due- however for most US states, you only have to pay sales tax if the business you're purchasing from has a business presence in your state.

If I'm purchasing from Amazon, and I don't live in Washington State then other than scenarios like the NJ sales and use tax, I don't owe any tax on the purchase- because for most states it's just a sales tax and only assessed on in-person sales in the state. A few states (like Oregon) don't have any sales tax, and some (like Washington) don't have any state income tax.

Paul

13. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Thanks Paul. Partly I was curious, but I also asked a friend in the States to get me a small Domke bag from Amazon (I'm going over next month), and I wondered if there would be extra tax on it.

ps. I miss the amusing bits that you used to have in your sig! :)

14. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I spend enough time on here that I'd like to recoup at least some of it with the occasional print sale. I haven't made a UK sale yet though- perhaps I should offer a coupon for the first one?

Paul

15. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

16. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Now is exactly the time to buy a new camera. Not only will availability dry up (leaving you with no camera options), but you provide a cash injection (no matter how small) into a company and economy that needs it desperately.

17. rebby macrumors 6502

or, if your local state has something called a use tax. In this case, Amazon does not collect the tax and pay it on your behalf. You are obligated to file with the state and pay it yourself. That is a major misconception that the vast majority of people have. I know that MN has a use tax, most other states do as well.

Your state doesn't have a use tax then? I envy you. That would save me quite a bit of money.

18. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

22 of the 50 states currently have use taxes. Both of the states I currently operate in have specific exemptions for photography equipment.

cf:

Paul

19. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Good idea. I know there's probably a new one on the way, but they don't come much better than this. Not for what I want to pay anyway! I don't want to be a new adopter either, and I didn't see the point in waiting a year for something similar with a few more bits and pieces when I can be using such a fantastic camera now. I want to know the camera inside out by the time I go on a special trip next year.

Enjoy your camera when it comes and let me know how you get on!

20. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Will do! It's supposed to arrive this coming Thursday. I'm psyched:D:D:eek:

21. AlaskaMoose, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I buy from B&H, and would buy from Adorama just the same since both are perhaps the best and most reputable as far as I remember. But lately I have been buying from Amazon because of the free shipping to Alaska, except that some items aren't shipped free.

However, Crutchfield ships any item over $49.00 free of charge to Alaska. I have ordered large screen TV's that are quite heavy, too. I just noticed that they have the 5D II ($2,499 for the body), and also several other Canon and Nikon cameras. I plan to buy a 5D II in the near future, so I will probably buy it from Crutchfield because of the free shipping (around $24.00 savings, I believe). I also plan to buy a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L from any of the three shops above since Crutchfield does not have this lens.

I ordered a Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II from Crutchfield recently. It was more expensive than B&H, Amazon, and Adorama. But it would have cost me over $100.00 for S&H from B&H, so I still saved over $60.00 by ordering from Crutchfield.

Please understand that I don't work for Crutchfield, nor in any way am I trying to advertise their products (I am not associated in any way with this company).

22. BForstall macrumors newbie

Agreed. I think an increase in demand/cash flow is going to be a good thing for Japanese companies as they rebuild. I've been trying to decide between a D700 and a 5DMkII for weeks now, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger before shortages occur (if they haven't already).

23. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I think strictly speaking, buying a camera from a retailer like B&H doesn't provide a cash injection to the manufacturer as they already received their profit when the retailer bought the camera. Unless those retailers have committed to donate a percentage of sales profits back to the manufacturers affected by the earthquake.

Ruahrc

24. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I agree with Ruahrc the camera's are most likely paid for already BUT this is definitely to curb demand.
    If you have an item that sells well at a slightly discounted price and you run into delivery problems or even manufacturing problems, you will make sure that there still is a flow of your products to the market but sold in lower quantities to bridge your gap.

Otherwise your products disappear for possibly several months and competitors take your share.
    If your stuff is still available albeit at a slightly higher price, you know people that want it will still buy it and professionals don't care much about the price as the 200 USD difference they can translate to their customers..

This is standard supply and demand, if your supply is hampered, you need to curb demand.

//f

25. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Hi Helen, thanks for clarifying. I stand corrected. I don't do that much business with retail in the consumer industry. In the industry where I work this would be standard supply/demand.

I agree with you on the overhead of course but wouldn't you say that if you would keep the prices at the discounted price, for example the d7000 and people would buy them off, that it would be pretty bad if you would have to say that there is none to be had for the next 2 months?

Same goes for lenses? I mean yes, I guess if you sell the stock off and then 2 months no new shipment comes in, you would not be able to cover your costs.

Like I said, thanks for clearing this up but to the outside world it still might look like "retailer price hike for profit". Of course people that notice that ALL retailers if the prices to the same level, might see a pattern... the rest will just see suspicious.

On a completely unrelated note: thanks again to adorama to help me with my latest purchase and the mistake i made in the ordering process. All was handled exceptionally.

//F