Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Does anyone here know if B&H photo usually has black friday sales on the mbp current models?

I'm planing on getting a 13" 512gb 16gb ram haswell retina however if they do a black friday sale I may wait and get it from them instead of ordering it from apple through my edu discount.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Ah I did forget to mention one the advantages to b&h is no sales tax.

chetzar

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
Does B&H offer the student discount? If so, that combined with no tax could be a sweet deal.

henryp

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
New York, NY
Does anyone here know if B&H photo usually has black friday sales on the mbp current models?

You can find our current menu of holiday shopping specials here.

Ah I did forget to mention one the advantages to b&h is no sales tax.

We only add sales tax if your order is shipped to an address in NY state but if your state has its own sales tax you're liable to report your purchase and pay use tax to your state.

Does B&H offer the student discount?

Unfortunately we are not part of Apple's student discount program although we do have our own at bandh.com/edu.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
:D thanks.

Since I don't see the mbp models on there I'm assuming they wont be part of the holiday specials.

Guess I may as well order directly from Apple looking at the 13" 2.6ghz haswell/ 16gb / 512 SSD however the 3-4 week wait time is killer right now. Somewhat tempted to go the 13" 2.4/8gb/256 route instead. Not sure if I can live with storage space loss though.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Just be forewarned:

No Return/Exchange on the following:
- Computers and Computer Software, once any of the manufacturer's packaging has been opened.
- Any computers built or modified by B&H to customer's specifications.
- Special Order merchandise or any item indicated on the website as non-returnable.

Reason I bring it up, B&H is a business and as such work as one. You won't get the same service from B&H you get from Apple. Wife bought me an Macbook Air (less than 2 weeks before the new ones came out), couldn't return it for a newer model like I could have through Apple. Apple usually will exchange/replace with the newer model if one comes out within 14 days to 30 days. B&H has no such policy. Also if for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase your only option is to sell it as used or see if Apple will help you out.

In my case, Apple took pity on me (even though the Macbook Air wasn't in their supply chain) and replaced the Macbook Air I purchased through B&H Photo and gave me a $1299 credit for a new Macbook Pro Retina.

I will not purchase hardware from B&H again.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Thanks Henry. It's little things like this that bring me back to B&H over and over again. I even got a nice pair of Binoculars for "astronomy on the go" purposes from B&H.

Good Luck!!

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Just be forewarned:

No Return/Exchange on the following:
- Computers and Computer Software, once any of the manufacturer's packaging has been opened.
- Any computers built or modified by B&H to customer's specifications.
- Special Order merchandise or any item indicated on the website as non-returnable.

Reason I bring it up, B&H is a business and as such work as one. You won't get the same service from B&H you get from Apple. Wife bought me an Macbook Air (less than 2 weeks before the new ones came out), couldn't return it for a newer model like I could have through Apple. Apple usually will exchange/replace with the newer model if one comes out within 14 days to 30 days. B&H has no such policy. Also if for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase your only option is to sell it as used or see if Apple will help you out.

In my case, Apple took pity on me (even though the Macbook Air wasn't in their supply chain) and replaced the Macbook Air I purchased through B&H Photo and gave me a $1299 credit for a new Macbook Pro Retina.

Your mileage may vary.

It's my understanding that B&H Photo is an Authorized Apple Reseller, and they only have to accept returns within Apples return policy (14 days?)

Since B&H Photo had to sign a contract with Apple to be an Authorized reseller, they have to abide by Apples policies.

In the future if anyone runs into problems with returns, ask to speak to a Supervisor, and if that doesn't work, Call Apple and find out which department is in-charge of Authorized reseller accounts.. if no one is available immediately, ask to speak to someone in Executive Customer Relations.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
It's my understanding that B&H Photo is an Authorized Apple Reseller, and they only have to accept returns within Apples return policy (14 days?).

None of that worked for me on the B&H side, and everyone I spoke with just forwarded me back to their return policy. No returns/refunds on 'ANY' PC or MAC, the ones they show on the site too like the 8GB Macbook Air is not stock it's also customized (is what apple told me) so B&H can say it's "built or modified to customer spec" even though it's not 'configurable' on the site.

Thankfully Apple worked with me at the Apple Store and I got something I could work with, they couldn't normally do an exchange since the Macbook Air wasn't ever a part in their supply chain since it was shipped/purchased from B&H, but they were able to credit me for the difference on a different Macbook, which was what I was wanting from the beginning I wanted to spend 'more' money but B&H didn't want it. :) And now wont ever get it again.

Last edited:

ramonetl

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Best Buy or JR Music are also alternatives.

I'm planing on getting a 13" 512gb 16gb ram haswell retina however if they do a black friday sale I may wait and get it from them instead of ordering it from apple through my edu discount.

Check the Bestbuy deals. I got my 15.4 16gb MBPro 250 off during a fast sale much lower than even bh though tax was a drag but I think 18 months no interest too. I know they have the MBP listed for Black Friday and I think that they have deals on the others. Dont know if you will find that spec you are asking for though since its limited. Check JRMusic also. BUT get your applecare from BH. Much cheaper. Any of the 3 are good store options and I do love BH!

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Any chance they drop their price on Applecare (think currently is $179) on that day as well?

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
FYI for Google Wallet users:

There is a 5% discount for Google Wallet users if you order Via B&H's mobile site/Android App.

Not 100% sure if Apple products are included/excluded.. Worth looking into if you're going to be purchasing from B&H.

henryp

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
New York, NY
...B&H is a business and as such work as one. You won't get the same service from B&H you get from Apple.

Because we're a business and Apple is not? :)
Rhetorical -- no reply necessary or expected.

FYI for Google Wallet users:
There is a 5% discount for Google Wallet users if you order Via B&H's mobile site/Android App.
Not 100% sure if Apple products are included/excluded.. Worth looking into if you're going to be purchasing from B&H.

I believe EVERYTHING is included.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
disregard. Point stands. No returns/exchanges on hardware at B&H

Unless it is defective, of course. Indecisiveness shouldn't be a cause for someone having to eat unsealed stock.

Apple provides great customer service, often going above and beyond on the return policy. But with B&H you get other perks (most notably generally lower prices - I just got a base 15" MBP from them for $1749 - and no sales tax, which totaled out to nearly $400 in savings vs buying direct from Apple), so the question just comes down is it worth $x for you to have the option to return if you have a change of heart.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Unless it is defective, of course. Indecisiveness shouldn't be a cause for someone having to eat unsealed stock.

Apple provides great customer service, often going above and beyond on the return policy. But with B&H you get other perks (most notably generally lower prices - I just got a base 15" MBP from them for $1749 - and no sales tax, which totaled out to nearly $400 in savings vs buying direct from Apple), so the question just comes down is it worth $x for you to have the option to return if you have a change of heart.

Apple will usually pricematch on their own products.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
You won't get the same service from B&H you get from Apple.

I have to call out this first line. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from B&H over the years, including a new Haswell MBP within the last week, and I've been very positively impressed with their "service." The one time I had to call them they were friendly, they ship quickly, their prices are good, they offer BTO configurations (a rarity from Apple resellers), etc.

I think—or hope—that what you meant to say is that they don't have the same return policy as Apple. And it would be silly for them to expect that they would. They're a relatively small shop. Unlike Apple, they don't have a pipeline dedicated to converting open-box products into refurbished products that can be resold. They are operating as a middle man.

Why any of this is a reason not to shop at B&H is beyond me. Why you chose to buy a computer that was due for a refresh is also beyond me. You opened a computer, used it, saw something better, and want the retailer to eat the cost on that? Given the it's only in the last couple years Apple removed its 10% restocking fee, that's a rather silly and unrealistic expectation.

Given the prices, bundled add-ons free of charge, and tax implications, B&H is an excellent choice. I just wish they were a ShopDiscover retailer. :)

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I too have bought expensive camera lenses from B&H and was happy with their service.

The "no return policy" on computer does however make me reluctant to buy from them, now that it's brought to my attention. I have never returned any item to B&H because before I spent that much money on an item, I do a lot of research.

But it does feel unsettling that for some unforeseen reason within 2 weeks after the purchase that if I decide to return the item, I can't.

For a $1800 computer, the tax saving is about $150. Is it worth the risk not being able to return?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.