B&H vs. Apple - 2TB Airport TC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NativeTxn, Dec 18, 2013.

1. NativeTxn macrumors regular

I am likely going to buy a new AirPort Time Capsule (2 TB). It's $299 new at the Apple Store, $255 at the Apple Refurb store (though after tax for me it would be $276.04), and $277.99 new at B&H (no tax or shipping charges).

If I bought direct from Apple, I'd probably go with the refurb since it would come out to about the same price all in as a new one from B&H.

My question is: are there any reasons you see to purchase from Apple over B&H?

The only reason I could think of would be so that if there was a problem, I could return it to an Apple store in Dallas as opposed to having to ship it back to B&H; however, I talked to Apple and they said that they usually require the refurbs to be mailed back anyway. So, that sort of evens the playing field in that regard.

Any other reasons to go with Apple over B&H?

Thoughts appreciated.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I would get the new one from B&H. I purchase stuff from them all the time. Never had a problem with them.

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

I purchased my Mac mini in b&h , it was cheaper

Fast shipping and no problems

4. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

No returns on hardware from B&H though, so your mileage may vary. As long as you understand the risks.

5. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

not if it isnt opened.
    I've found B&H tobe very accomodating. A lot of their policies have to do with scams that people run on them. Being a big AV supply house means people on a low budget production will buy stuff with full intent of returning it for refund after the project is over.
    I've done this myself in the past when I used to do live event production and I needed a multiformat VCR. Not that I am proud of it or anything.

If you do get a defective Mac I'm sure you can get B&H to exchange it. They are based out of NY and that state has a lot of consumer protection laws.

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'd grab the refurb.

On the odd chance that the TC has the bizarre electrical hiss sound that they sometimes do, you could just swap it at Apple. I'm not sure it's serious enough to get B&H to swap it.