B.iCycle - unable to view maps on Google Earth

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Cuthbert, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Cuthbert macrumors regular

I have been emailing myself my tracks, but am unable to open them with Google earth. Both the kml and gpx files do not open.

I open Google Earth -> go to file -> then go to open -> and pull the files from my desktop.

Am I doing something wrong? Any tips about how to open the files for viewing? An exact step by step process would be great.

Thanks everyone.

2. fredf macrumors 6502

as far as I know, nothing will open KML or KMX files on an iPhone.

There is a guy working on My Maps app and I have corresponded with him and he says My Maps should be able to do this in an upcoming update in about Sept.

I haven't used b.icycle but decided instead to go with MotionX-GPS. It can't open KML either but I was able to send my ride to Google Maps and I can then open safari and see my route there, but cannot follow along as a GPS.

from what I know there is no app right now that will open up your route and simultaneously track progress.
    If you find one, PM me please.

I also don't see what b.icycle offers over motionx-gps for triple the price.

3. Maverickster macrumors regular

4. Cuthbert thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not trying to open these on the iPhone, but on my macbook pro.

5. Cuthbert thread starter macrumors regular

So this is the error I'm getting with the kml file when I try to open it with google earth on my mac:

Open of file "/Users/MyName/Desktop/track_2009-08-14_20.03.13.kml" failed: Parse error at line 2, column 0:

no element found

6. Cuthbert thread starter macrumors regular