B/W G3 PCI Controller upgrade?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GimmeSlack12, May 25, 2007.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok so I have quite an updated G3 BW/400:
    2 x 80gb HD's
    Radeon 7000 64mb GPU
    1 gb RAM
    DVD-ROM
    Big TV to watch downloads on.

I am still not absolutely satisfied with the playback and have read that a final bottleneck is the PCI bus (66mHz) and that I can upgrade this to 133mHz.

I am interested in doing this but I want to understand it a bit better. Is the bottleneck the data transferred from the Hard drive or the motherboard to the GPU?

Also, I am looking for suggestions on what to buy. 100mHz or 133mHz or what?

Thanks,
    Slack12

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Thats the frontside/memory bus........the pci slot for the video card is 66mhz.

And NO, you can't "upgrade" the FSB, some folks have tried overclocking it. Unfortunately, doing so really screws up the timing of the pci bus and causes all sorts of problems with your ram and other components :(

And YES, the bottleneck, as far as playback is concerned, is the pci bus from to the GPU......it's just slow, slow and slower, and so is apple's software DVD player :p

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I see now.

Try using VLC to be honest. Quicktime and DVD Player are terrible on a G3. You can always overclock the processor or use PCI Extreme as well.

5. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I am using VLC, and I have overclocked the CPU from 350 mHz to 400 mHz already (since day 1). I guess I can push for 450, but back in the day when I tried that it didn't work, just a gray screen.
    How can I use PCI-X?

I just need a little more performance because it is playing things "Ok/Good" and I really want "Good" (at least).

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I used PCI Extreme on an old G3 and boy, did the video playback fly.

7. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Care to share more details on that "old G3"?

I've installed the PCI extreme via VNC from work. I'll be able to see how the video looks once I get home. I had originally given up on the PCI extreme hack, but I realize that at that moment in time i had put the Radeon in a 33mHz PCI slot and not the 66 mHz slot. Dumb I know. So hopefully this will resolve everything. Thanks guys (Eidorian).