B&W Power Mac G3 resurrection

keller212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Hi,
I have a B&W Power Mac G3 that i am trying to resurrect.
It turns on & chimes but there is no picture.
This is what i have done so far:

The PRAM battery was dead so i replaced with a new one.
Reset PMU,
i can't reset PRAM as it wont chime a second time.
The hard disk was dead (clicking) so i disconnected it.
There are 2x sticks of PC100 SDRAM (not sure of size as there is no label on sticks) I tried all different configurations with ram & it only beeps when both sticks are removed.
Re-seated ATI Rage 128 Video card.
I tried disconnecting the cd & zip drive.

Any further help would be appreciated.
Thanks
:)

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
ARM Computing
Go over the video card contacts with a Q-tip filled with rubbing alcohol. Twice.

Make sure there aren't any stray hairs from the Q-tip, and make a very firm connection between it and the motherboard.

We can cross out the possibility of it being a connection issue if that doesn't work.

keller212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I cleaned the contacts & still same issue. I also tried a verified working PCI video card from a Power Mac 9600 & same results. Although im not sure if a video card should work in a normal pci slot (33mhz)

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The Rage 128 that shipped in these is quite a versatile card, and will work fine in a normal 33mhz PCI slot in a Mac(I've used them in everything from a PM 7200 to a dual 2.7 G5).

You might try putting the video card in your 9600 and seeing if it works in that system.

Of course, checking in one of the other PCI slots other than the "dedicated" 66mhz video card slot wouldn't hurt.

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I would try with some known good sticks of ram. Just because they don't cause the system to beep, doesn't mean they aren't bad. I've seen bad ram cause all sorts of "un-explainable" things.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Have you checked the CPU? Have you got another ZIF G3 you could drop in? Years ago I had the CPU fail in my B&W G3, and although I don’t recall the exact symptoms it might be another place to check. Even reseating it might not be a bad idea.

Reactions: Project Alice