Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xnolmt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
I just bought the new MBP 08 and have been using it pretty heavily while laying in the bed. I was wondering are there any issues with heat from doing so. I notice my notebook heating up from time to time. Is this normal?

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
The uneven surfaces of the bed equates to less heat the unit is able to dissipate. It's best to use it on a hard flat surface. The cooler you can keep the thing, the better

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much... The things are designed to fry an egg...

charlieg

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2006
Get yourself an iLap or something similar. It provides a very stable surface that doesn't block the cooling vents while also allowing for proper airflow under the computer.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Strangely enough, using mine with it sitting on my bed doesn't seem to affect temperatures. I really don't know why, but it doesn't. The best explanation I can think of is that the MBP's heatsink is mostly passive (through the case, not the vent), and the fans are simply an extra little push to help get the job done when the load is high.

Red-red

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Your not meant to use it in bed so it will get slightly hotter but they are designed to cope with it. If it doesn't get extremely hot it will shut down before anything is damaged so don't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.