Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
So I know there's been much talk of the Samsung vs. LG screens. In my particular air, I'm getting this showing up in terminal: B116XW05 V6

Some poking around revealed this option is quite rare, and there're no specific mentions of this model anywhere. It seems to be manufactured by AUO, which I know next to nothing about. However, I believe they manufacture Chimei monitors, and having used one for a few years I can say they're of a good quality.

In the limited time I've used this one I can see no obvious defects or shortcomings, but I'm curious what the community thinks of this manufacturer.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
it is normal for Apple to source displays from multiple manufacturers for all of their products.

You may just be seeing that they have started to ask another manufacturer to come on board for MBA displays.

To this point we have only seen LG & Samsung in Airs as far as I've read.

Given all the recent legal stuff with samsung it doesn't surprise me to see other manufacturers involved.

soapsudz

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
So I know there's been much talk of the Samsung vs. LG screens. In my particular air, I'm getting this showing up in terminal: B116XW05 V6

I've been compiling a list of MBA 11" screens in the hopes of trying to fix mine :( Here's what I found so far:

2010 model
LP116WH4-TPA1 (LG Phillips)
AUO B116XW05 (AU Optronics)

2011 model
LP116WH4-TJA3 (LG Phillips)
AUO B116XW05 V0, v1, v6 (AU Optronics)
LTH116AT01A04 (Samsung)

Are these screens compatible for the same model year i.e. can I swap an LG Phillips screen for an AUO if I can get ones for the MBA 2010 model?

And is it possible to use a MBA 2011 screen on a 2010 model? I'd rather not go into EDID hacking and all that.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA

Some poking around revealed this option is quite rare, and there're no specific mentions of this model anywhere. It seems to be manufactured by AUO, which I know next to nothing about. However, I believe they manufacture Chimei monitors, and having used one for a few years I can say they're of a good quality.

In the limited time I've used this one I can see no obvious defects or shortcomings, but I'm curious what the community thinks of this manufacturer.

My air 11' 2013 i5/8/512 arrived today and screen is: B116XW05 V7

IS IT SAMSUNG ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.