Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
So I'm planning on ordering the cheaper 15in MBP tomorrow online and had a couple questions.

Will I be able to get educational discount ($1699) and the $100 gift card online? The reason I'm ordering it online is because I want the Hi-Res Glossy and they don't have them at my local Apple Store.

Another thing, someone posted in another thread that any MBP's (or any other type of computer) bought between the WWDC and the release of Lion will get the $29.99 Lion for free? Is this true?

And does the gift card work for iTunes, App Store, etc? Or just Mac App?

Last question...My HP that is 3 years old (and has been great to me) has been randomly shutting off on me (b/c of temperature) and the fan has been running loud...I read a lot of people were having problems with the new 15in MBP's with overheating...Is this true or nonsense?

Last edited:

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
So I'm planning on ordering the cheaper 15in MBP tomorrow online and had a couple questions.

Will I be able to get educational discount ($1699) and the $100 gift card online? The reason I'm ordering it online is because I want the Hi-Res Glossy and they don't have them at my local Apple Store.

Another thing, someone posted in another thread that any MBP's (or any other type of computer) bought between the WWDC and the release of Lion will get the $29.99 Lion for free? Is this true?

And does the gift card work for iTunes, App Store, etc? Or just Mac App?

Last question...My HP that is 3 years old (and has been great to me) has been randomly shutting off on me (b/c of temperature) and the fan has been running loud...I read a lot of people were having problems with the new 15in MBP's with overheating...Is this true or nonsense?

Check the online store tomorrow to see if you can get it, but I'm pretty sure you can.

You will get Lion for free when it comes out.

The gift card seems to work for the Mac app store.

I'm sure some people have problems, but I definitely don't. Mine idles at 30-something *C and watching Flash video and other various stuff only brings it up to 70 or something. I did reapply thermal paste before ever turning it on though, so mine may not be the best example. For what it's worth though, if you open up the HP laptop and clean out the dust, it would probably work fine.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Check the online store tomorrow to see if you can get it, but I'm pretty sure you can.

You will get Lion for free when it comes out.

The gift card seems to work for the Mac app store.

I'm sure some people have problems, but I definitely don't. Mine idles at 30-something *C and watching Flash video and other various stuff only brings it up to 70 or something. I did reapply thermal paste before ever turning it on though, so mine may not be the best example. For what it's worth though, if you open up the HP laptop and clean out the dust, it would probably work fine.

Yeah I'm afraid to open this stuff up. I'm good with computers but physically opening them doesn't sound like a good idea for me lol. I thought the gift card could be used on iTunes too but oh well. What program do you run to check the temperature and how hard is it to apply the thermal paste?

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Yeah I'm afraid to open this stuff up. I'm good with computers but physically opening them doesn't sound like a good idea for me lol. I thought the gift card could be used on iTunes too but oh well. What program do you run to check the temperature and how hard is it to apply the thermal paste?

smcFanControl is a small, free app to display the temp and you can also manually handle fan speeds.

As for the thermal paste, since the chips are on the keyboard side of the motherboard, you really have to remove EVERYTHING to get to it. If you're good with small screws and tiny cable connections you can easily do it, but it isn't for the novice. Where do you live? If you're near someone who's done it I'm sure they'd help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.