Ba in English, or a Ba in Anthropology.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Oct 18, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ba in English, or a Ba in Anthropology.

Some people say that both of these degrees are useless as all you can do is teach, or write.

So I was wondering does anybody here have an English degree, or an Anthropology degree and what do you do? If you know anyone that does also what do they do?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why do you care? Is this a life-choice decision you are contemplating??

If not, please limit your synapse malfunctions to Monday mornings.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is the first time I've laughed today ... this response is fantastic!

Oh and unless you want to fondle monkeys and write about it, I say neither.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Thank you Jess. I know we've had our difficulties, but I am pleased to add to your day. :D

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What happened to being a paramedic and/or psychiatrist?

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm. Maybe you could teach people to write. Or write about teaching. That would be proper.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha once again, I knew this was a waloshin thread before I even opened it!

The degrees aren't useless. Why do you say that?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Any degree can be useless, if the owner of said degree doesn't use anything they learned from it in life.

It all depends on what you want to do ...

9. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

My dad's got an english degree, I've got an english/polisci degree with a minor in history. He and I both went to law school.

Law or Teaching is where everyone with a fun but useless degree ends up (my dad taught for a few years as well).

You need to make a choice between summers off and happiness (teaching) or a crap ton of stress/student loans/alcoholism and the slim chance of having a sweet car and a trophy wife (lawyer).

what you end up doing with any degree is more of a question of your abilities and drive. any degree you get can open up a plethora of possibilities depending on who you are and what you like. in the end the deciding factor is you. pick something you enjoy and are good at and plan your future based on your skill set and what you enjoy. the possibilities are endless so long as you have the ability and drive to make what you want happen.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He seems to have posting questionable threads on MR well covered.

Time to move on to something else ....... please. :eek:

11. Policar macrumors 6502a

Both are equally worthless! Choose based on interest.

I have a BA in English and I'm a retired (j/k, actually just currently unemployed) cashier. My other friends who've majored in English were either double majors and took jobs based on their other major or are also unemployed. None of my friends from college who graduated with liberal arts degrees have jobs that pay more than working at Starbucks, for instance, would. (And we went to the fourth most expensive college in the world!)

Neither degree sets you up for a job so much as it sets you up for grad school. The skills you acquire may-or-may not help you get a job, though, so study what interests you in hopes that you may one day have a job that interests you, too.

It's also really weird that you'd weigh feedback from anonymous internet posters over your personal experience with english and anthro classes.... And you can always double major; for the indecisive, it's the best course of action.

12. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Unless you plan on an advanced degree, get something else. Those two are pathways to law school, etc...but on their own, won't get you much of anywhere.

13. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

I'd rather have a bare ass in anthropology than a bare ass in english, but that's me.

14. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I got my English degree from one of the premier schools in the country, and it was a complete waste of time. If you are sure you want to teach or write, or if you want to go to law school or something, great. If you want a more regular job, just forget it.

I went in with the intention to teach. Foudn out I hated teaching.

Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot from my degree. It was a rigorous course in critical thinking, creativity, organization, philosophy, etc. Unfortunately, its difficult to translate all of that directly into a job. My job is in the healthcare industry, and any time I've lost a job, I start right back at the bottom. I'm doing ok and move up pretty quickly, but am only now starting to really get a "career" going"

If you have a career in mind that doesn't directly involve either degree, go do something else. If you aren't sure, I'd encourage you to pick something else.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

True, but the goal of college is typically providing the knowledge base for earning an income in the "real" world. Unless the OP is serious about being an anthropologist or a teacher then these degrees are useless in the real world.

I know too many friends who went for an english, history, philosophy degrees only to struggle at finding a job because there's not too many companies out there needing a history major.

I'm not saying learning this stuff is without benefit, but students need to look at the big picture and see what they want to do as a vocation, before selecting their major.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Do what your Mom wants you to do and move out. Stay in Canada though.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Consulting companies tend to not specify a degree subject as being required, just that a degree itself is. If you're going for one of those careers then you may as well do whatever subject you think you'll enjoy. You'll still get your foot in the door.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's more true in the UK than in the US or Canada. I like that in the UK, you can study something like history or English, and you can still get a job later because it's not as if the ability to organise ideas, learn to view the world from different perspectives, learn how to be effectively argumentative, and learn how to communicate well through writing isn't needed in the "real world". It's certainly better than what I learnt at uni, which was solving problems that weren't realistic, using math skills that have no real-world application even for those who are in technical fields. I took 8 mathematics subjects at uni. I would have been OK after taking Calculus 1. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think Arts degrees are underrated.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's going to make it really difficult for people with these non-specific degrees is how people now apply for jobs.

the majority of the time people now apply online, and upload their resumes. What they don't see is what goes on behind the scenes. There's is technology that rates an applicant's resume based on the job need. So if a BA degree in computer science is required and I upload my resume (I have a AS in accounting and computer science), my resume will be slotted at the bottom of the pile because I don't strickly fit the rating system - even though I have 20+ years of experience.

Basically the recruiters won't even see these low rated resumes, because of the volume of other applicants that rated higher. My point is, english/history/philosophy/etc type degrees will hamper a college graduate from finding a job more now then any other time, unless he's looking for a job that specifically calls for a degree in that area and those type of jobs generally want something more then a BA, if you're an english major, then a masters is really needed for many of the jobs in the sector.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well one of my friends has a Ph. D in Anthropology, and with that he teaches (at Uni); which supports your rather limited view of the degree... but William Shatner did call him an expert. How many people can say that? :D