BABIED 64gig iPad 3G: dead after 14 days

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bangak, May 14, 2010.

1. bangak macrumors member

Last night the iPad suddenly lost my routers signal for the first time since I received it on April 30th. After repeated attempts to acquire the signal I deiced to try a soft-restart of the device...and that was the last time it worked. It will power on, but can't get past the Apple logo screen.

iTunes isn't acknowledging it's there when I plug it in (on a iMac and MBP), so there's no way to force a restore upon it. Apple Support had me run the full gamut of tests and recovery methods to no avail. Their assessment is that it's likely hardware failure within the iPad, so I'm eligible for a replacement. Hooray.

Why not go to an Apple store and exchange it you say? Because I live in Alaska. The nearest Apple store is over 2,000 miles from me. So, Apple has dispatched a special package for me to return the iPad in...that should get here in two days. Then I send it back...then...the waiting begins anew.

Let's hope the next one I get lasts a little longer. :(

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Sorry that yours died and there's no Apple Store nearby to get it exchanged more quickly. I haven't seen a lot of "mine died" threads on here, so unless you're super unlucky, the next one should last for awhile! :)

Not that it should have died in the first place (but we all know that crap happens), if you had AppleCare, they'd actually ship you a replacement at the same time they dispatched the return box to collect your broken one.

Hope the repair process goes quickly for you.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Here is hoping that the replacement unit will last MUCH longer!

4. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Sorry you had bad luck. I know it sucks, but try to keep your head up... You'll get a replacement soon ;)

5. steel magnolia macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that, but glad you are getting a replacement and hope the wait will be a short one!

Patty

6. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Ouch. Sounds like a freak thing. But frustrating, nonetheless, I'm sure.

7. kutsushita macrumors regular

kutsushita

did you try charging it? :D

jk i hope they are able to at least send you one out immediately without having to wait through that "ships in blah blah blah days" bs.

8. SpeedNut macrumors member

9. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Don't we all have Applecare for the first year? Am I missing something? Just asking because I'm thinking of NOT getting Aplecare, but going with the third party coverage.

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

AH! For some reason I was hoping the OP was boltjames ;) Sorry for your loss :(

11. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I had my Macbook take a crap on me within a couple of months of purchasing it. Bad logic card. I had Apple care. I called Apple support on Wednesday. They sent me a DHL box to ship it back in which I got on Thursday and shipped it back to them the same day. I had the backbook back on Saturday...I **** you not.....and it has been perfect ever since. Knock on wood! :cool:

Apple will take care of you! They are good people! :D

Steve

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Yeah, more or less. Apple calls the 90-days of phone support and first year of hardware coverage "complimentary support". But you call the "AppleCare" people to get the complimentary support, so it's a semantics nightmare.

AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) is technically the "extended protection plan" that you may chose to buy. This allows for the advanced replacement service with the iPad.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service/exchange/

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

At least twice as long!

14. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I'd try and Jailbreak it to kick it out of its loop. I've had a few iPhones that people up here at work thought they bricked that I've fixed with QuickPwn or BlackRa1n...

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

The only bad part with most APP replacements is that you paid for brand-new PLUS the cost of Applecare, but they replace your bum unit with a refurbed USED product. So you end up paying more for a used re-manufactured unit in the end. That never seemed fair to me.

Maybe you'll get a new device as a replacement given that it's such a new release they don't have refurbs yet?

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Ok, tell the truth... a moose sat on it, right? Hopefully Apple won't be able to tell ;)

17. err404 macrumors 68020

Apple has always cross shipped products for me when I have had issues.

18. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you need to force it into restore mode.

Just hold down home and power until it restarts.. and keep it held down until you see the iTunes logo appear on the screen.

Then connect it to your computer and iTunes should pick it up.

19. bangak thread starter macrumors member

Andrmgic:
    Tried that first. Then Apple support had me uninstall iTunes completely, restart a couple times, reinstall iTunes and try it again followed by the restore process of holding down the home button while plugging in the dock connector. iTunes doesn't even recognize that the iPad has been mounted (and yes, I tried multiple USB ports on two different Macs). I suppose it could be the cable, but it was working fine prior to the iPad failing, so that would be quite a coincidence.

ReallyBigFeet:
    I really hope they don't try to pass off a used iPad to me...if I get a scratched up refurbished unit I'd be very disappointed.

I'll update this thread with what ends up happening...hopefully a happy ending.

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Even if refurb'd, it won't be scratched up. You'll not be able to tell from outward appearances that you got someone elses' 'buyers remorse' return.

Not that it really would matter....other than the principle of the thing.

But regardless, I hope they give you a new one.

21. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Did your original have to travel 2000 miles to get to you? Maybe it got abused on the way, but then again, I guess they all came from China so...

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Who is boltjames?

Anyway op, like all electronics they can fail even in their infancy. Hope you get a replacement soon.

23. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Please jessica, please tell me you're kidding...

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

President of the iPad 3G 64GB Elitist Club. You should write to him with your story. Perhaps the club can say a prayer. Or something. :cool:

25. DarkAether macrumors regular

Probably not a good idea in case it doesn't fix the prob and leaves evidence that he tried jail breaking it. Apple might not look too favorably on replacing it...:eek: