Baby bust my macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jahbuzzz, Dec 10, 2011.

1. jahbuzzz macrumors member

Hi there - My 8 month old baby girl was mashing down all the keys on my Girlfriend's Mac book and managed to close it. When I opened it everything was frozen so I force quit and re opened it. Now I can't do anything at all on it. I've force quit and re opened numerous times and once, after leaving it for a while, safari opened.

This is what is what I see when I turn it on. Note the HD icon stays highlighted with a box around it...

My GF will kill me! :confused:

----------

[​IMG]

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The plastic cases or polycarbonate ones are highly prone to suffer that type of cracks.
    Take it to the Genius Bar and see your options there.

Otherwise check here for parts.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts

3. jahbuzzz thread starter macrumors member

HI THERE,
    thanks for that but its not the crack I am worried about its the fact that the computer doesnt work...

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If your comfortable doing this, if you can take the top of the unit, there are from memory 3 screws on either side of the unit and 2 at the back near the hinges.

When you take the top casing of the unit, do it slowly as there is a cable that is on the logic board, now that cable is needed to be connected in order to power it on.

What you can do is power it on and just unplug that cable from the motherboard. Plug in a usb keyboard / Mouse see if it functions. Sounds like the keyboard suffered some damage and requires replacement

5. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

There are more than 5 screws to remove the MB top case. Also, he could try a USB keyboard and mouse without unplugging the top case.

Last but not least, the computer can be turned on with the top case disconnected.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

7. jahbuzzz thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry - I'm not being very clear. When we turn on the laptop the desktop appears, with everything on it but when we try to open an application, a file, anything we just get the spinning wheel.

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Maybe one of the memory modules is loose or not in place after the event.
    Get the step by step instructions in ifixit.com about how to replace the RAM, and just check that they are well in place by removing them and re-installing them.
    B careful to use anti-static protection: wrist band and mat.
    They are very sensitive and you could create more damage if you are not careful.
    If you are not confident to perform this operation, take it to the Genius Bar and tell them the truth and ask them for help to see if the RAM or something is looose. They more than likely do an inspection for free.
    Maybe also the HDD connection or an other cable inside might be loose.
    Or the HDD suffered and simple replacing it with a new one is the way to go.
    Run Disk Utility and check the disk.
    Also you can run the Apple Hardware Test, hold the D key while booting.

9. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

This doesn't sound like a lose memory module to me.

If you are getting the spinning color wheel, I would suggest it is probably the hard drive.

At this point, if the data on the drive is important to you and you don't have a backup, I would recommend you take it to a professional who can make a backup before running any more diagnostics.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Agreed, hard drive is quite likely, but I haven't seen that exact behavior before.

11. jahbuzzz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all - we're taking it to the Mac hospital tomorrow!

12. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Ouch...

Well you learned that babies and computers don't mix. Very important lesson.

Did you try turning the computer off?
    Not just sleep or closing?

Can you open System Preferences or Disk Utility?

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I kind of disagree with this statement. Macs and babies are very friendly to each other.
    Basic baby care and Mac user practices of keeping both in a safe environment are always needed.

And babies and iOS devices are even more compatible and require less caregiver attention.