Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsk423

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
Has anyone seen films in the iTunes store be downgraded from 4k to HD? I just bought an Apple TV 4k and I'm beyond confident Baby Driver has been advertised as a 4k film. I buy it, it's in HD. And calling Apple, they just said sometimes the rights change.

Curious, anyone else notice this? That's a bit concerning on the status of my future purchases.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Has anyone seen films in the iTunes store be downgraded from 4k to HD? I just bought an Apple TV 4k and I'm beyond confident Baby Driver has been advertised as a 4k film. I buy it, it's in HD. And calling Apple, they just said sometimes the rights change.

Curious, anyone else notice this? That's a bit concerning on the status of my future purchases.

Yes, this WAS definitely a 4K film in iTunes as it was used as an example of the picture quality available from the AT4K in a YouTube review from one of the big review vloggers!

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017

It's a disturbing trend and yet another reason why I'll never fully trust digital media. This is pretty sleazy and Apple needs to do something to put a stop to this fast. If Im buying content on iTunes now, Im specifically buying the 4k version because its a few dollars cheaoer than the UHD. I would be PISSED if a few days later it went to HD. There needs to be better consumer protection laws agains crap like this.

Reactions: dman67 and KimaniB

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
It's a disturbing trend and yet another reason why I'll never fully trust digital media. This is pretty sleazy and Apple needs to do something to put a stop to this fast. If Im buying content on iTunes now, Im specifically buying the 4k version because its a few dollars cheaoer than the UHD. I would be PISSED if a few days later it went to HD. There needs to be better consumer protection laws agains crap like this.

Looking at it from a legal pint of view, the problem is that, we are not buying it as a 4K film. When you buy it from your MacBook etc, it's a HD or SD option. It's very cleverly marketed. What's happening from what I can see, is that you borrow the 4K version. You rent it (since there's no download). It would have been a different story if you had to pay extra of course. I always feel that if Eddy Cue presents something to us, there's always a hidden catch ;) which of course, this whole saga is proving to be. At this time, just think of your films as being in HD and certainly for now, leave the 4K box in SDR mode. Any 4K updates at this time is merely a luxury I guess!

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
Looking at it from a legal pint of view, the problem is that, we are not buying it as a 4K film. When you buy it from your MacBook etc, it's a HD or SD option. It's very cleverly marketed. What's happening from what I can see, is that you borrow the 4K version. You rent it (since there's no download). It would have been a different story if you had to pay extra of course. I always feel that if Eddy Cue presents something to us, there's always a hidden catch ;) which of course, this whole saga is proving to be. At this time, just think of your films as being in HD and certainly for now, leave the 4K box in SDR mode. Any 4K updates at this time is merely a luxury I guess!

The ATV 4K is advertised as, I don't know, a 4K STREAMING DEVICE! All movies that are in 4K/HDR are heavily advertised and promoted as being 4K/HDR. You CAN'T even purchase an HD version of a movie on the ATV4K if it's on the device. So the idea that people are purchasing HD content and just "borrowing" the 4K. Is utter BS and I'm sorry but we buyers shouldn't stand for this blatant bait and switch garbage.

I for one will now just continue to buy UHD Discs and redeem the digital codes and if there's a choice between iTunes and UV, I'm going to go with the UV version. The service has only been available for 4 weeks and Apple has already proven they can't be trusted.I was really excited about the ATV4K but so far it's been one disappointment after another. Gives you something amazing like UV integration with iTunes and free 4K UHD Upgrades and then quietly takes away those features a few weeks later.

Last edited:

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
On the atv 4k the 4k version is the only version you CAN buy, it's all over the marketing for the 4K version. So to say people are buying the hd version and the 4k is borrowing us utter BS.

Maybe, MMM but the fact that you can't download points to it sadly. There's no other way that I can look at it really. You'll never own it if it's iCloud only meaning it can be taken away. Yes, new laws definitely ned to come into place as it's stealing if you've bought something.

Still, it's very early days for Apple and 4K iTunes and ATV. With so many people and reviewers upset with no auto switching and SDR/HDR, it's very clear that Apple have a lot of work to do.

Interestingly, i'm wondering if we see Atmos added to ATV4 with the launch of the HomePod!
I really don't know if we'll ever see Auto switching though. HDR / SDR maybe not, just improvement in its implementation.

Maybe have a long term break from 4K iTunes and buy UHD Blu Ray. Here in Europe, that's not a contender as even on Amazon, there are only around 30 releases and none of those are my taste in film.

I really hope they get it sorted but I never truly believe that Home Cinema / AV types will ever be happy with streaming and iTunes. They are the physical media kind of people just like the HiFi buffs. iTunes really is multi media / convenience for people like me, iPhone & MacBook users with smaller occasional use TVs. That's how I see it anyway. And for me, mot of the time, it works OK. Although I did watch a DVD the other night and it was so beautifully smooth toking with no judder :) :) :)

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
Maybe, MMM but the fact that you can't download points to it sadly. There's no other way that I can look at it really. You'll never own it if it's iCloud only meaning it can be taken away. Yes, new laws definitely ned to come into place as it's stealing if you've bought something.

Still, it's very early days for Apple and 4K iTunes and ATV. With so many people and reviewers upset with no auto switching and SDR/HDR, it's very clear that Apple have a lot of work to do.

Interestingly, i'm wondering if we see Atmos added to ATV4 with the launch of the HomePod!
I really don't know if we'll ever see Auto switching though. HDR / SDR maybe not, just improvement in its implementation.

Maybe have a long term break from 4K iTunes and buy UHD Blu Ray. Here in Europe, that's not a contender as even on Amazon, there are only around 30 releases and none of those are my taste in film.

I really hope they get it sorted but I never truly believe that Home Cinema / AV types will ever be happy with streaming and iTunes. They are the physical media kind of people just like the HiFi buffs. iTunes really is multi media / convenience for people like me, iPhone & MacBook users with smaller occasional use TVs. That's how I see it anyway. And for me, mot of the time, it works OK. Although I did watch a DVD the other night and it was so beautifully smooth toking with no judder :) :) :)

No AV Types will never be happy with streaming. Me, I like the convenience of it, so if I can get 90% to physical quality I'll take it. My issue is the blatant bait and switch aspect of it and it shouldn't be legal. I just checked and the original poster is right Baby Driver is now in HD, after Apple spent WEEKS promoting and selling this in 4k/HDR. Meanwhile on Vudu it's still listed in UHD.

I was going to buy this on Sunday. I've been thinking about purchasing Spider-Man: Homecoming on iTunes because it's been all over the iTunes Movie App for the last 2 weeks and at $19.99 it's cheaper than the UHD. I would be livid if I got it today and then tomorrow - before I even had a chance to watch, it switched to HD.

Last edited:

Zooie123

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Virginia Beach
I just got off chat and phone with Apple support. They stated it is new and they are constantly changing and upgrading. Movies anywhere does not count, movies have to be purchased or grandfathered in from ITunes, if just transfers in from Movies Anywhere, it can be HD or 4k and change at anytime.

This was my previous post:

Yesterday Goodfellas was in 4k in my library. Today it is renamed Goodfellas(REMASTERED) at HD. There is now another version for 9.99 at 4k called Goodfellas! What is this bait and switch? Change names and kill our 4k? I have several that were 4k and now HD such as Baby Driver and Jason Bourne.

They had no answer for Baby Driver and Jason Bourne????

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
No AV Types will never be happy with streaming. Me, I like the convenience of it, so if I can get 90% to physical quality I'll take it. My issue is the blatant bait and switch aspect of it and it shouldn't be legal. I just checked and the original poster is right Baby Driver is now in HD, after Apple spent WEEKS promoting and selling this in HD. Meanwhile on Vudu it's still listed in UHD.

I was going to buy this on Sunday. I've been thinking about purchasing Spider-Man: Homecoming on iTunes because it's been all over the iTunes Movie App for the last 2 weeks and at $19.99 it's cheaper than the UHD. I would be livid if I got it today and then tomorrow - before I even had a chance to watch it switched to HD.

I'm totally with you on this MMM. It's an absolute mess and very un-Apple. Although iOS11 seems to be a true mess this year.
Personally, I don't like using Home Sharing to locally stream as I find that it stops and buffers at least once during each film. I have super fast fibre broadband. When a film freezes to buffer, it totally ruins the whole experience for me!

I'm now looking at my iTunes library, seeing iCloud logos near to lots of them, and thinking that I need to back those up which now means that i'll have to buy another LaCie hard drive. The Apple 'It just works' theory isn't working on this business model.

Outdoordude01

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
I just got off chat and phone with Apple support. They stated it is new and they are constantly changing and upgrading. Movies anywhere does not count, movies have to be purchased or grandfathered in from ITunes, if just transfers in from Movies Anywhere, it can be HD or 4k and change at anytime.

Cool so I guess we get to roll the dice with the resolution every time I want to watch a movie.

Reactions: dman67

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
I'm totally with you on this MMM. It's an absolute mess and very un-Apple. Although iOS11 seems to be a true mess this year.
Personally, I don't like using Home Sharing to locally stream as I find that it stops and buffers at least once during each film. I have super fast fibre broadband. When a film freezes to buffer, it totally ruins the whole experience for me!

I'm now looking at my iTunes library, seeing iCloud logos near to lots of them, and thinking that I need to back those up which now means that i'll have to buy another LaCie hard drive. The Apple 'It just works' theory isn't working on this business model.

Homeshare works perfectly for me, weirdly though I've NEVER been able to get Airplay to work from my Mac. It works fine from my iPad and iPhone.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Homeshare works perfectly for me, weirdly though I've NEVER been able to get Airplay to work from my Mac. It works fine from my iPad and iPhone.

It's 50/50 with me - some nights it'll play all the way through, other nights buffering once or twice. I wouldn't call it a pleasant experience for me.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
What kind of benefit would Atmos bring to HomePod? I am asking because I do not see any added value in Atmos without a decent speaker setup with real surround and height speakers. I do not see HomePod fitting that bill in any way.
Is it because of Amazon or because of Europe? If the latter, then you can finally source your UHD films from anywhere in the world, now.

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017

This was my previous post:

Yesterday Goodfellas was in 4k in my library. Today it is renamed Goodfellas(REMASTERED) at HD. There is now another version for 9.99 at 4k called Goodfellas! What is this bait and switch? Change names and kill our 4k? I have several that were 4k and now HD such as Baby Driver and Jason Bourne.

They had no answer for Baby Driver and Jason Bourne????

This is a lame excuse from Apple since this was a major advantage the ATV 4k had and their system clearly doesn't distinguish between MoviesAnywhere and iTunes purchas
What kind of benefit would Atmos bring to HomePod? I am asking because I do not see any added value in Atmos without a decent speaker setup with real surround and height speakers. I do not see HomePod fitting that bill in any way.
Is it because of Amazon or because of Europe? If the latter, then you can finally source your UHD films from anywhere in the world, now.

I doubt if Atmos would work with HomePods and Atmos requires a full set of speakers to be effective (even Atmos Soundbars need a bunch of built in speakers), so using it with one speaker would be pretty pointless (even if it could work).

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
Baby Driver now shows 4K/DV again. This whole Movies Anywhere, 4K/HDR thing is a bit of a mess right now. As Forrest says - like a box of chocolates. Hope it settles down and becomes consistent and simple as is the intent.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Baby Driver now shows 4K/DV again. This whole Movies Anywhere, 4K/HDR thing is a bit of a mess right now. As Forrest says - like a box of chocolates. Hope it settles down and becomes consistent and simple as is the intent.

Yep. It is showing 4k DV for me again too. This was ported over from Movies Anywhere. It is safe to assume that movies purchased with codes from Blu-rays are at least ported over. Not sure about movies directly purchased from Vudu. Pretty much all Movies Anywhere movies that should be in 4k are, for me.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Yep. It is showing 4k DV for me again too. This was ported over from Movies Anywhere. It is safe to assume that movies purchased with codes from Blu-rays are at least ported over. Not sure about movies directly purchased from Vudu. Pretty much all Movies Anywhere movies that should be in 4k are, for me.
It says "4K" in iTunes, but from what people have said movies ported from Movies Anywhere aren't actually playing back in 4K. You can check this by pressing down on your remote while the movie is playing.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
It says "4K" in iTunes, but from what people have said movies ported from Movies Anywhere aren't actually playing back in 4K. You can check this by pressing down on your remote while the movie is playing.

I don't know how consistent this is but if a movie is UHD in Vudu and ports over to itunes via MA then it should actually stream in 4k/HDR. The issue is mostly those movies that are HD in Vudu and port over don't seem to actually stream in 4k/HDR even though itunes says it's available. As you say you can check by swiping down while playing. It's very deceiving. Apple needs to be much more transparent about this even if it stems from studio restrictions. Vudu is very clear about which version you own.

Zooie123

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Virginia Beach
I completely agree, all Apple stated was if it was HD in Itunes, it would be upgraded to 4K if it was available. Nothing stated if ported over via MA, it would not be included. The biggest issue is that it keeps switching, one day it is in 4K, the next it is not, crazy.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 10.10.04 PM.jpg

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I completely agree, all Apple stated was if it was HD in Itunes, it would be upgraded to 4K if it was available. Nothing stated if ported over via MA, it would not be included. The biggest issue is that it keeps switching, one day it is in 4K, the next it is not, crazy.

I guess they announced the free 4K upgrades before MA was announced (very convenient as it made Apple's offer sound much more generous than it was). Main issue in my mind is there is no designed way to upgrade to 4K if you wanted to. Even if Apple couldn't announce anything about MA, they knew it was coming and this issue would exist.

I wonder whether the other storefronts (VUDU, Google etc) will also negotiate free HD to 4K upgrades ,at which point this issue should disappear as the 'original' license will be 4K so should port to 4K on all the other services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.