Baby gnawed on magsafe...now not charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fongyuen, May 11, 2011.

1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

yeah, so i brushed off some of the oxidation debris and it's still not charging. tried another charge and that works so i know it's not another issue. is it basically toast or should i try to clean it off some more (perhaps with vinegar?)? thanks for ur help.

2. applegenius83 macrumors newbie

Wow, was it plugged in when the Baby got to it?
    Actually I would recommend that you DON'T TOUCH IT! Seriously, that's the best way to either void your warranty or fry your cord/laptop. It's happened to me before. If you have a bad cord, you NEED to get a professional to fix it ASAP that is BEFORE you use it. If you have Apple Care, it won't be covered, but I had a MacBook Pro 2011 Screen crack from a ball and Apple repaired it (not under warranty or Apple Care) for FREE. So bring it into them and see what they'll do. I'm not saying it'll be free, but it will be fixed or replaced. The worst that can happen is you have to buy a new cord if you bring it to them. The worst that can happen if you try and fix it is you'll be buying a new laptop. So it's worth it this time...
    :apple:

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

who was watching the baby when this happened? ... count your blessings and buy a new Magsafe

4. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

haha, yes, thanks for ur concerns, the baby is fine, wasn't plugged in when it happened. so just like that the magsafe is dead huh?

5. willieva macrumors 6502

A rodent chewed through mine. It's not difficult to cut out the chewed part and splice the wires together. If you feel confident in your splicing ability then there's no reason to buy another charger. I use my spliced charger where I dock my laptop, and bought a new one for travel. Spending $70 on a new charger seemed like a small price to pay to make sure my laptop doesn't short circuit.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Well, if you're really good a soldering, you could cut the cord below the affected area, cut out the affected area from the remainder you now have, and then solder the tiny wires back together. I don't recommend this unless you really know what to do, but it is possible.

"Just like that the magsafe is dead"... well, just like any other electrical cord, when you cut it, it ceases to function. It's not about a lack of quality in the MagSafe cord and more about the sharpness of your child's teeth! ;)

7. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, perhaps gnawed is too strong of a word, she basically just slobbered over it so there's no actual physical damage to the cord or the magsafe, but it was oxidized from the saliva touching the metal part i guess........well, it must've dried off or something cause it's working now. thanks everyone :)

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Make sure you follow the babies correct calibration procedure. You can't just charge it and call it good.
    :eek: