Baby Monitors

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SoxFan894, Oct 5, 2016.

1. SoxFan894 macrumors newbie

I need some help in looking for baby monitors. Anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at doing a dropcam set up, but my wife has said she wants a stand alone unit with a separate monitoring device. I would like it hook up to wifi so I can use my phone when away.

Any thoughts?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would go as simple as possible. Any complexity is just going to get you dirty looks from your wife at 2am when the wifi router needs rebooting or the app won't connect. The off the shelf systems aren't typically fancy, but they just work without having to do anything.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

You might need to go with a double solution for something like that--a more typical stand-alone unit as well as something like a separate internet connected camera (that you would want to make sure is secured). That is unless they have stand-alone units these days that also offer internet connectivity (and probably an app) in addition to a dedicated receiver that isn't internet dependent.

4. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

all motorola's are horrible. batteries last maybe 2 hours off cord.

5. SoxFan894 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I read that they are bad. I'm going to try the dropcam before the baby comes and see how that works out. If its not something she likes at least I can use it to watch for clowns showing up on my door step.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

This has nothing to do with baby monitors but:

You're wife wins every decision process when it comes to baby stuff whether you think she right or wrong. If your wife wants the simple one then just get the simple one she will interact with it the most. The same goes for chairs, blanket's, bath stuff, bottle, bags, strollers, etc. just say yes ma'am.

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

We had dropcam but decided to go a cheaper route as well as have local recording instead of cloud. Bought 2 of these cameras and couldn't be happier.