Baby panda born at Atlanta Zoo

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
News links:
The 9-year-old giant panda gave birth just before 5 p.m. Wednesday after 35 hours of labor — the longest recorded birth for a panda. It's the first panda cub born at the Atlanta zoo and is just the fifth giant panda born at a U.S. zoo in the last six years. The hairless cub weighs about 4 ounces and is the size of a stick of butter. Its sex will not be known for weeks. Zoo officials said they could have twins on their hands — about 50% of giant pandas deliver two cubs.
Want to help Name that panda?

I haven't yet seen pictures of the new panda, but here is mom (Lun Lun):

I've alerted SilentPanda who may or may not be related to the new panda.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My guess is that twins aren't always born together, so they are waiting to see if another is yet to be born. (Pandas have multiple births half the time.)

It's nice that they didn't have to help with the delivery and could let Lun Lun deliver on her own, and on her own schedule.

No word on what dad Yang Yang has to say about all this.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
when it is twins, it's not so nice. The mother only takes care of the one she thinks is healthier, and leaves the other to die. "One's the heir, one's the spare." :eek:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
SilentPanda said:
It's really beautiful. It's one of the most beautiful babies I've ever seen. It's one of the sweetest babies I've ever met in my life.
Are you a close relative of Lun Lun's or a distant relative?

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
I voted for "Fantana" after Brian Fantana.

If it has to be a repeated short name then "Ron-Ron."

If it's twins then I'd name the right one "James Westfall" and the left "Dr. Kenneth Noisewater."

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iTwitch said:
Right, but don't they have the means to tell if there are two, they know for people?
Feel free to try to get between a newborn and it's momma "bear." I know I wouldn't. ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
That's a shame. Yes, animals mourn too. In this case, you might call it postpanda depression. And my joke is a shame too.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Doctor Q said:
Are you a close relative of Lun Lun's or a distant relative?
I can't disclose that information. The less you know when the Pandalution happens the better.

BTW I was quoting the people who saw Suri pre-pictures in case nobody got it... bad joke... bad color to hide a bad joke since I'm a lazy person that uses White.