Back 2 Mac Documents

Discussion in 'macOS' started by timmell, Nov 16, 2007.

1. timmell macrumors newbie

Has anyone found anything or know if the Back 2 Mac feature will wake your "Home" mac up to use the screen or browse files? I assume it won't cause I can't get mine to work, and i set my "home" computer to sleep after 2 hours of non use. Any apple documentation?

2. unity macrumors 6502a

You can select this option in the energy panel. You may have to click "advanced" first.

Pretty sure it should work. I just tested my PowerBook and the Ethernet port remained active while sleeping.

The problem may be with .Mac though. It *may* no longer "register" the computer.

Attached Files:

3. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I still dont get how to work back to my mac. I enabled it on my laptop, and then my .Mac account back to my mac on a friends, but i dont see my laptop at home. Does it have to be awake, or do i have to be logged into my iDisk or what?

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Did you sync at least once? That way you know for sure its registered with .Mac servers.

Also there are many reasons it may not work. The sleep thing, not sure yet as above. Someone will have to test the wake on LAN feature with .Mac.

But then you have router issues ,etc... There are a ton of network/firewall configs that may block back to mac. Also both should have 10.5.1 since that seems to help with some of those alt configs.

5. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Back to My Mac doesn't have any facility to wake your home Mac. Assuming you have a router that supports forwarding broadcast packets to your LAN (not Airport Extreme, unfortunately) you can set something up seperately to wake your mac. Once Apple fixes the mess that is Back to My Mac, you'll see it appear in your sidebar once you do your wake-on-lan method.

-B