Back Again from Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shadrap, Dec 23, 2011.

1. shadrap, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

shadrap macrumors 6502

Every year I get a little bored and have to try out other devices. I recently test drove the Droid Razr and the Galaxy Nexus. One thing I find hilarious is every time I leave for a while and come back, I find lots of Android postings on here. Apple fans don't do that on the Android Forums.

Guys, we all gripe about these Android post, but know this, as long as they post here, Apple is still the best and on top. They would not be trying to rationalize buying an inferior device if not the case.

Now a little comparison.

Droid Razr, built as well a the iPhone, but a little awkward to hold. The current Gingerbread is not fluid, so not much of a challenger.

Galaxy Nexus, Ice Cream Sandwich is getting there. Much smoother but still not intuitive. Biggest gripe with the Gnex is horrible signal. It would register 110 dBm compared to iPhones 83 dBm. Lower is better.

Neither can touch the iPhones camera, battery life, or ease of use.

Save your money. Android will not yet fill the Apple void. I am gonna keep my iPhone 4s happily, until the iPhone 5 or Jelly Bean on the Motorola Nexus.

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

But Android is "open". Google doesn't tell you what to do. Android has the most market share. Obviously, it MUST be better. * end sarcasm *

seriously thou, I am waiting for ICS or a Honeycomb port to finish for the Touchpad I own, so I can boot into either WebOS or Android. Will be cool to have a $150 32gb Android tablet with a vanilla Android load and full access to the Android Marketplace. Will fill that Android itch I get every once in a while. :D

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I agree what you said about the Android forums

Welcome back.

4. shikari89 macrumors member

shikari89

5. mbh87 macrumors member

I bounce back and forth as well. I think it's pretty safe to say that I won't be using android again anytime soon. I used it for a year and then got a 4s, and now I can't get over how choppy android is. Things don't work nearly as smooth.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sorry, but yes, they do.

7. matt90036 macrumors regular

8. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Galaxy Nexus currently has a signal problem, but they'll fix that. No phone is perfect. Even the iPhone isn't perfect, the battery life was horrible until a fix, and the signal was horrible in the iPhone 4.

I wouldn't call Android terrible, they're all great operating systems. Android, iOS and Windows Phone, though, I must say that I'm getting bored of iOS.

9. mobola87 macrumors newbie

Ha! sold my iPhone 4 in September and got myself a galaxy S II for my birthday. Had it for almost 3 months now and the terrible screen & lack of quality apps/games has taken its toll.. tonight i bought myself a white 4S for christmas :D :D
    the Galaxy S II is going on Craigslist

10. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Well, I took the dive and purchased a Galaxy Nexus last night. While the phone was pretty nice, it was also pretty big and I couldn't get use to the size of the phone. Needless to say, I sold the phone today and picked up a brand new sealed iPhone 4S for $480 :cool:

The only drawback of the Galaxy Nexus is the size. The software was great.....everything about the phone was great. However, that size is to dam big. If they would of made it 4" or even 4.3".......I would of kept the phone.

But ICS is very nice and fast. They need to stop trying to make the biggest phone and stick to 4"-4.3". Phone was dam near 5 inches! Walking around with a tablet in your pocket. Galaxy is only about 2 inches shy of the playbook:eek:

11. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your post OP. just got rid of the nexus. Had it a couple of days and was fixing to try the razr. I have just been a little bored I guess. I'll
    Hold onto my 4s:)

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Terrible screen? Are you insane? The screen is big bright and beautiful. The iPhone screen looks tiny and washed out to me now. All of my friends with iPhones just drool over the display, plus just about every app that I have used on my old iPhone is available for Android.

I can only assume that you are just making this up. Sure, the Galaxy S2 and Android both have their faults, but the screen is certainly not one of them. One of the best phone screens available at the moment, IMO.

I don't understand why people have to get into this "Android blows, iPhone rules" and vise-versa nonsense. Each phone and platform has it's strengths and weaknesses. Use the one that works best for you.

I decided to jump ship when the iPhone 4S came out and wasn't much of an upgrade (please don't try to argue with me on that one). I've been enjoying Android for the most part, but if the iPhone 5 turns out to be "insanely great", i'll jump back.

LOL, I felt the same way when I first got my phone. "This thing is huge" i thought. I felt like I was holding my iPad up to my ear. But after about a week I got used to it and now I can't imaging going back to a smaller screen.

13. thenerdal, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

thenerdal macrumors 65816

The Galaxy Nexus screen is actually 4.3", the only reason it's 4.6" is because the buttons are on the screen. So, it's technically, not that big.

14. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

One of the biggest drawbacks is the low resolution display. No worries though SGS3 will fix that with HD Super AMOLED + in 2 months.

15. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Are you serious? Low resolution screen? The screen on the Galaxy Nexus is 720p, which is HD. Way better than the iPhone's screen.

16. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Uhh I was talking about the SGS2 calm down fanboy. ;)

17. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Ah, sorry didn't see that mobola87 was talking about the GS II.

18. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

These days I find Windows Phone more fluid then Android.

19. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

What's funny is I went from my iPhone 4 to the Galaxy Nexus. I'm loving the Nexus but there are some things I miss about my iPhone 4 and there are some things I would love about the 4S, namely the camera and video recording quality. But I cannot part with my Nexus and it actually negates my need for a tablet due to its screen size.

So next week I'm going to take my iPhone 4 and trade it in for a 4S. I'll probably use the 4S as my primary phone and the Nexus as a backup and mini-tablet.

20. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Switched from android and the 4S just plain works. Yeah you miss out on some of the custom options, but I know that my phone works and will continue to do so. My droid started getting incredibly buggy after 9 months.

Posted with my 5 year old Macbook Pro :D

21. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I finally got the iPhone 4S and I'm just loving it.

22. GeniusJon macrumors regular

Pixel density on the iPhone is still higher than the Nexus.

23. penfan82 macrumors regular

Just switched from droid x to 4s and I agree I realize now how buggy android was iOS is so much smoother

24. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

+1

If Windows Phone took all the functionality from Android (filesystem, etc) and then made the interface more complex, iOS would finally have a formidable competitor.