Back at the drawing board

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by auero, Apr 16, 2010.

1. auero macrumors 65816

I originally owned a 15" macbook pro but sold it because I was betting my iMac I ordered would be yellow free but that wasn't the case. So instead of exchanging it I decided to just opt for the return and get a macbook pro.

I have two choices now.

15" Hi-Res i7 4GB RAM 500GB 7200RPM GLOSSY
    I dont think I'd normally choose glossy but I'd be also getting the 24" ACD to match.

or.

17" i& 4GB RAM 500GB 7200RPM MATTE (although Im trying not to spend a ton of money, I can upgrade to 8GB ram if I don't get the display.
    I choose matte because I think the colors would stand out better and the reflection started becoming annoying in certain places. It would cause me to turn the brightness up all the way which of course kills the battery quicker.

The size to me doesn't necessarily matter. The 17" isn't much bigger or heavier and I've owned both before. They're both awesome machines. I can even possibly consider getting the 17" and eventually saving for the 24" ACD.

A majority of the time I'd be keeping it on my desk or moving around my house. I don't like taking my machine with me everywhere.

I've gone without a machine for 2 weeks now and it's going to be probably another two weeks by the time I get another machine so everyones opinion would help me dearly. Doing my design work isn't horrible on windows but frustrating at times!

2. kangping macrumors member

for design work, i'd pick the 15" (non gloss) and the big screen.

3. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

You dont think the matte standing next to the glossy apple display screen will be annoying?

4. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I don't think you'll have a problem with glossy if you don't have any light sources behind you? Have you checked them out in the store?

5. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

I do have a window facing behind me but I doubt I'd see the reflection seeing as I'm in front of it and my blinds are always closed.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can always try out the RadTech Clearcal anti-glare screen protector for the Apple Cinema Display, it is only $25. I'm sure there are other vendors with similar products.

I'd stick with the 15" as well. You can always upgrade the RAM yourself later on if/when 4GB is no longer enough. The prices should eventually become reasonable.

7. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

Creepy! I was literally just looking at that!

As for the ram, I'm using a friends and family discount from a friend who works at apple so for the price, it's not a bad deal to just get the ram now.

8. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I'd also go with the 15", 17 just seems too big.

Unless you want the extra what 200x??? pixels that the extra two inches gets you.