back cover scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by niotio910, Jun 19, 2011.

1. niotio910 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought my MBP for 3 months, and it is my first apple's product ever. A few days ago I realized that a part of the back cover (I think it's right to the CPU) has a lot of scratches. I tried to find out by putting it on the table again and tried to look through the gap/space between the table and the laptop. It turned out that scratched part is actually touching the table's surface.

I took the laptop to apple's service and hope for a fix, but they said: "There's nothing to do with it". They advised me to buy a sticker or a silicon cover to protect it from more scratches.

Has anyone got scratches like me? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks!

2. DoorMouse macrumors member

If they are proper scratches, I doubt there's really much you can do that won't damage the computer further (unless someone else knows how, i've never even attempted to try to get the scratches of my mbp)

On the other hand, the bottom of my MBP has loads of scratches - it doesn't affect the performance of the machine, and since it sits on the table all day, I don't see the scratches that much. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. Its a laptop, it gets lugged around, it is bound to get some scratches on it if it isn't constantly in a case (I only have a carry case for mine) - as long as it works, I'm happy.

3. niotio910 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that the scratches don't affect the performance, but it's kind of annoying to have them after just 3 months of usage. Moreover, I haven't used it with a hard way such as traveling with it... since I bought it. I think that this is the manufacturer's false because the back cover shouldn't touch the surface. To be honest, I was a little bit disappointed with Apple's answer!

BTW, what do you call the 4 black rubbers on the back cover? :) I think they are quite thin

4. X3NIA macrumors member

I can't seem to find a case I like either and am still trying to decide what I want to do.. All of the hard cases seem to scratch it and all of the silicon cases seem to be really cheap and make the macbook like like something that isn't a Macbook.. I don't know what. A tonka truck I guess, LOL.

I'm going to be buying an invisible shield, It seems like a gigantic pain to put on but generally keeps the macbook's look intact (makes it look glossy but that's it)

I've had one on my phone's touchscreen for 2 1/2 years and it has eaten LOADS of scratches but my phone looks brand new.