Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I know this is not a new topic, but I have a peculiar slant on it. My wife has had the backs fall off SIX 38mm SS Apple Watches. Apple has replaced her watches five times. When they gave her the sixth one, they assured her that it wouldn't happen again, which caused me to assume that they had done something to correct the problem. Today, after she had the sixth watch for only three weeks, the back came off again while she was taking it off her wrist. My wife is extremely careful. The watch has never been exposed to water; she does not use any sun-tan lotion on her arms; she has never damaged the watch in any way. Has anyone else had the problem of having the backs of their Apple Watches fall off multiple times? I have not seen any reports of this on previous threads on the topic.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wow. Six times? I have not had this problem or any other of my colleagues. I almost don't know what else to say. This issue should be brought to the engineers, whom report directly from the Senior Advisors. Seems either sporadic or confined. Any pictures?

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I didn't take any pictures. All there is to see that the back module comes off and you can see the band of glue where it is detached. It's a common problem, but on the threads i have seen, people mentioned only one instance of this happening to them. I can't imagine that my wife is the only person to whom it has happened multiple times.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I've had my launch day 42mm since the beginning and have never had this happen. Hard to imagine it happening 6 times to the same person. I wonder if they ever replaced the charger? I've also been wondering if they have addressed this problem in the series 2.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....The watch has never been exposed to water....
Someone posted about how they showered all the time and never had a problem but that (almost jokingly) their wife was carful to never get it wet and the back came off. It is nearly statistically impossible to get 6 in a row with the same problem so it MUST be something external to the :apple:Watch. It could be acidity that is eating into the glue and she needs to wash it daily for maintenance. Soap and warm water won't hurt it (well over 500 showers has not hurt mine) and in her case may BE the only thing that can save it.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Absolutely not questioning the validity of the claims but I have to wonder if there isn't some outside factor at play here, possibly one you aren't aware of?
Yeah, it sounds like an external factor.

Maybe a defective charger that overheats it and softens the adhesive?

Or perhaps she leaves it in a hot car every day because she doesn't want to (or isn't allowed to) wear it at work?

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
Maybe your wife just doesn't want to wear an Apple Watch and these are supposed to be the hints.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Yeah, it sounds like an external factor.

Maybe a defective charger that overheats it and softens the adhesive?

Or perhaps she leaves it in a hot car every day because she doesn't want to (or isn't allowed to) wear it at work?
Ah, good one about the car…

I was thinking earlier today about whether she goes to a sauna or something. (NOT a request for pics! Sheesh.. lol)

I'm sure Apple is as eager to figure this out as anyone.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I doubt the problem is inherent to the watches themselves.
Well, it kinda is, because most (all?) other watches aren't glued together.

But, yeah, I don't think anyone else has been able to get six of them to come apart, at least not by accident.

The only two things I can think of are heat and body chemistry. OP, has she ever had issues with other jewelry? Corrosion, skin sensitivity, etc?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Super weird. I wore my first watch everyday since I got right after launch and I never had a back fall off. My son has an Apple Watch and no issue either. My brother hasn't had that issue.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Super weird. I wore my first watch everyday since I got right after launch and I never had a back fall off. My son has an Apple Watch and no issue either. My brother hasn't had that issue.

We have 4 out of 5 people in this house wearing Apple watches, all since launch of first gen and NONE of us has had a back fall off. Adults, kids, none of us.

I am going to go with unusual activity or body chemistry.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
My wife is extremely careful. The watch has never been exposed to water; she does not use any sun-tan lotion on her arms; she has never damaged the watch in any way.
What kind of charger does she use? An Apple charging cable or some third party? Maybe it has stronger magnet than it should. Does she put any kind of oily stuff (lotion or so) on her arms before she puts on the watch or while wearing it? Glue and oil don't match well - which is a good thing when you want to get rid of some glue (like stickers), but not so good if you need two or more glued pieces to remain glued together.

[EDIT: Spelling]

Last edited:

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
What kind charger does use the? An Apple charging cable or some third party? Maybe it has stronger magnet than it should. Does she put any kind of oily stuff (lotion or so) on her arms before she puts on the watch or while wearing it? Glue and oil don't match well - which is a good thing when you want to get rid of some glue (like stickers), but not so good if you need two or more glued pieces to remain glued together.

I wonder if she is washing her hands with some sort of solution (at work, maybe?) that might be eroding the glue enough to make the backs fall off.

I am a damned near obsessive hand washer, so regular washing won't do it. I know. Mine would've fallen off long ago were this the case.

:D

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Curious, does your missus wear her watch really tight? Wonder if something there is causing that...

Jayne Doe

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Apple watch user since day one and I've had two backs fall off. I'm currently on my third. Each time, I was taking it off the charger and could see the line of glue where the back pulled off. I assumed it was because of sweat -- I run in humid weather and I do wear body lotion. FWIW, the last time it was replaced, guy told me that Apple was aware of the problem and the issue was corrected.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Apple watch user since day one and I've had two backs fall off. I'm currently on my third. Each time, I was taking it off the charger and could see the line of glue where the back pulled off. I assumed it was because of sweat -- I run in humid weather and I do wear body lotion. FWIW, the last time it was replaced, guy told me that Apple was aware of the problem and the issue was corrected.

I too run a lot and wear body lotion but it isn't humid where I live. I wonder if the humidity is the difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.