Back from Android to new 5S, have some charging questions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retroglide08, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Retroglide08 macrumors member

Retroglide08

After a lengthy break from the iPhone, previous model was the iPhone 4, I am now the owner of the 5S and enjoying it immensely. My question is about charging. I've become a fairly heavy user and spend a fare bit of time web browsing and on social networks/forums through the day. Hence to say the battery does struggle to make it through the day. So with this, is it ok to charge it over night, use the phone connected to the charge socket in the van through the day and take it off charge in the afternoon. I'm just cautious as the thought of keeping it connected on charge for a large part of the day makes me think I may do some kind of long term damage to the battery. I do however let it run to the point it switches off at least once every couple of weeks. I remember Apple suggested this once a month to the MacBook battery.

Any thoughts on best charging practices/care will be appreciated

2. scaredpoet, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You should have no problem at all if you charge your phone overnight and now and then through the day. The important point is to keep the electrons moving, so as long as the battery is allowed to discharge now and then, it should be fine.

CONSTANT, 24/7 charging would be bad. But top-offs once or twice a day shouldn't hurt anyting.

3. ZeWarrior macrumors newbie

There shouldn't be any long-term or short-term damage to the battery charging it whenever you need to.

4. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

There is just simply in no truth to this at all.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

"Simply in no truth?" What does that even mean?

I base what I wrote on Apple's guidelines and on 6 years of iPhone ownership. I'm not sure what you base your idea that there is "in no truth" to what I've written, whatever that means. Maybe you can enlighten us?

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

English grammar aside, you were absolutely correct !
    A phone constantly connected on charge could result in a damaged battery after a few months.
    It is better to top it, then disconnect and use for a while, and then reconnect to charge again if needed.

7. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

It means that you have no idea what you are talking about...at least as far as batteries are concerned.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Obvious troll is obvious. :rolleyes:

9. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Its actually funny when people get busted throwing around BS and their back it to the wall they yell TROLL! LOL, fact of the matter is the you said "The important point is to keep the electrons moving, so as long as the battery is allowed to discharge now and then" iPhones use lithium-ion battery and what you are saying doesn't apply. You can call me a troll all day long but you honestly spread a lot of home made BS in this forum. It's time someone called you on years of misleading posts. I'm doing that right now.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Why don't you educate everyone then? So far you've just said the other poster is wrong, but haven't actually said anything about how it should be done correctly.

11. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Afaik it should be ok to do this as needed, just try not to get OCD about it like I used to with my iphone 4. I would get to work and charge it regardless, even leaving it plugged into my PC all day. I would rarely let it go below 10%

Now with my shiny 5c I tend to charge only when needed and not panic at 40% left lol
    I try to charge every other day if I can. Or top up in the afternoon to see it through the evening and overnight at least.

12. scaredpoet, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

From Apple's website on battery care:

[​IMG]

So, are you gonna say that Apple has been spouting BS as well?

[​IMG]

I back up what I say, and I admit when I'm wrong. I don't need to defend anything.

13. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Then why so you keep posting and defending it? Over and over and over.............

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Because he isn't wrong, you are. Additionally, he's backing up what he claims. You've just come in here and told him he's wrong with no supporting info.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

actually he's right and you are wrong .... and this is a fact :rolleyes:

----------

Because he's right and you did call bs what he said ....

16. cynics macrumors G3

Why not post some information then? He is quoting Apple directly from Apples web page, meanwhile you are posting childish argument starters. Who would you listen too?