Back from the dark side

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JOHNGAETANO, Jan 23, 2011.

1. JOHNGAETANO macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

After 2.5 years with an iPhone, I switched to an Android phone. After my experience I am back with an iPhone 4.0. Since I own iMacs and iPads I thought it was time to come. Is great to have my iPhone back.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Soon I'll be able to say the same thing brotha! :D

Currently have a Nexus One and probably will switch to the white iPhone 5 in June.

All the things that pushed my away from my iPhone 3gs to Android have been remedied:
    - Google Voice app approved
    - Great affordable GPS app (navigon)
    - Battery thats easy to replace (iPhone 4)
    - Bluetooth keyboard support
    - Multitasking

Plus the fact that your guaranteed to have the best phone of its type of an entire year if you buy it in June and are guaranteed to get updates ON TIME. With Android your hogtied by the carriers and even though I have a Nexus One Google has dropped support for us like a bastard stepchild to focus on their new thing: the Nexus S...

3. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Glad you made it back in one piece!

4. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

But the dark side...

...did they have cookies? :D

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It's doable, but I'm not sure it's easy...

Still, glad you found a device you like!

6. JOHNGAETANO thread starter macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

I got sick of the Android for the following reasons:
    I had an Nexus One, and an EVO.

1. Battery life was poor. A real pain on a day to day basis. I spent too much time charging all the time.

2. The browser experience was bad. I could pretend it was better than the iPhone, but it wasn't even close. Every time I used my iPad, I missed my iPhone.

3. Living in a Mac world at home, and not having an iPhone was a pain. iTunes, Mobile Me, etc..

4. I really thought I would like the bigger screen of the EVO, but as nice as the big screen is, the other issues really take away from the overall experience.

See ya

7. mltaylor macrumors regular

I have a Droid X and an iPhone 4...that said I love the X because of the larger screen at times but its also harder to handle with one hand. Plus like you guys I have a Mac home so its just easier having an iPhone.

I do like some things of each os though

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Actually, it's as easy as removing the back of the phone, disconnecting and removing the old battery, inserting and connecting the new battery, then replacing the back.

9. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Me too... my little android experiment lasted all of 6 months before I went crazy. It actually only lasted 4 before I had to buy an iPod touch to hold me over lol.

10. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

Reprinted from another thread... this one seems more appropriate

Since I am a Verizon customer, I have never had an iPhone. I do however have experience with iOS with my iPad. I purchased a version 1 droid phone from Verizon when they first came out. After two defective units, the third one seems to be a pretty reliable solid machine. I agree with the above posts and that the droid/android system does allow a good deal of freedom for the sophisticated user. When I first started using it, I began to feel that Apple's walled garden approach seems sort of quaint. However, while the android it is generally a good phone, it is a bit fiddly. I can see that non-tech types could easily get lost in all the options and menus below the surface. Android feels a bit like having to use Linux after using Windows or OS X. it works, but it can be complicated.

I have had some instances of the phone locking up or refusing to end calls, and a few instances of butt dialing that I could not explain.

While other people have had very good luck getting it to sync to iTunes, I never did reliably. Two features that I will miss on the android are voice to text which is extremely helpful, especially for messaging, and built-in wireless updates for podcasts. However, I have to say that both of the podcast apps for android that I tried were very confusing in terms of user experience.

other than the above, there is little about the android system that seems superior to me over the iPhone's iOS system from an everyday user standpoint.

I do plan on purchasing a Verizon iPhone within the first couple of weeks, after I read some reviews. I am looking forward to the straightforward, excellent user experience of the Apple product.

11. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Just out of interest, why did you switch to Android in the first place?

12. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

Wanted to go from a feature phone to a smart phone, and was a Verizon customer. Disliked the alternatives from Blackberry (storm) and Windows mobile.

13. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Try doing that on an airplane tray table with the flight attendant breathing down your neck, then come here and say it's easy. Nothing that voids the warranty can be classified as easy in my book. Thankfully I haven't drained my battery all the way to empty through normal use since the original iPhone was released. Battery life just has not been an issue for me on the 2G, 3GS, or the 4.

14. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Huh. I have a friend who uses a Droid X - funny thing is, he doesn't go anywhere without his iPod Touch 1G. Seriously, he has both in his pocket wherever he goes.

btw - to make his life simpler, he does plan on getting the iPhone on VZ when his contract ends...

15. JustLeft macrumors 6502

Also have the Droid x, iphone 4, and a Nexus 1 collecting dust. The Droid x all of a sudden just became too big, not sure when I got tired of the size, but it happened. Couple that with all the programs that I had to buy to bring the Android experience up to that of the ip4 (MMS apps, keyboards, podcasting apps, etc...).

I factory reset my Droid X 3 times. Two of the times all of my Free programs disappeared. Never had those issues with the iphone.

16. Indy2424 macrumors member

I as well have a Droid 1 for almost 2 years now. Being that I get a significant discount where I work and with Verizon coverage being the best in my area I never switched over to AT&T. I am also a storm spotter and nothing beats Radar Scope for a radar program for severe weather. I also sometimes carry my iPod touch 2g with me and connect to my Droid hotspot so that I can monitor severe weather. Overall I like the Android operating system and love the ability to customize using widgets. I honestly have not really had an issue with battery life. I would also consider myself a heavy user. There is something to be said about the "control" that Apple has. Even though I love my Android phone there is something to be said about the smoothness of my iPod 2G. I will probably be switching to the Verizon Iphone when it comes out in Feb. I have really been waiting for the choice for a long time. I do not love any one company and just love technology that works and works simplistically. Can't Wait!!

17. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

After reading through... I am even happier with my iPhone 4.

18. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

All of you lasted longer then I could with android. When the nexus one was released it used it for a total of 3 days before selling it an buying another iPhone 3Gs. It felt amazing being back with the iPhone. I can't escape the quality & fluid-ness of the OS. That's right I said it; fluid-ness

19. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

This friend in particular wishes he could upgrade when it comes out, but his contract is holding him back. The ETF is not something he'd want to do either.

20. JustLeft macrumors 6502

The other thing I missed was the rubber band affect that apple uses when you get to the end of a list. With Android I would keep scrolling down when I was at the bottom of the list, not realizing I was at the bottom.