Back from the dead...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 262Runnr, Aug 3, 2016.

1. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

So I have a 2012 MBP which was purchased from the refurbished Apple Store quite a while back. It was running pretty well until a lightening storm fried my modem, router and hit then hit the MBP. I had the MBP plugged into a surge protector but unfortunately i didn't have the ethernet cable protected and that's where the damage came from. I had it beefed up with an SSD and 16GB of RAM so with the i7 running at 2.9 Ghz it was pretty fast even for today's standards. I honestly thought that it would never boot up again... :(
    I always back up data so that really wasn't the issue for me. I'm just kinda attached to it...I
    I believe that the 2012 models were the last ones where you could actually get in there and replace RAM and the HD quite easily.

The Geniuses at the Apple store couldn't do anything for me....they gave me a flat fee fix of $288 to replace the motherboard and whatever else it needed. So seeing that for $300 I'd have a working computer again instead of a paperweight I went for their offer.

It came back like brand new and I'm very happy with the outcome. I don't use Time Machine so it was a real pain to get everything installed again. It took me almost a week. I even decided to install a Samsung 1TB EVO 850 SSD because I felt it needed a hug....LOL.

Happy ending feel good story.... :)

PS....lesson learned. I will always be wireless from now on.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Going wireless on your MacBook Pro won't protect your router/modem in the future.

Get a UPS. They usually have a pass through connection for RJ45 cable ends. Plug your modem's rj45 cable end into the "in" port on the UPS, and then plug another cable into the "out" port and then into your router.

Plug in the power cables from both the modem and router into the UPS.

Problem solved for anything connected to the Internet via wire in your home, including your MacBook Pro.

3. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Interesting story, and you certainly couldn't have got an equivalent computer for that repair cost. Do yourself a favour and invest in an external SSD and Carbon Copy, it's a great disaster recovery solution. Have a feel good day.

4. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Sometimes things posted in forums can get us thinking, and your UPS observations have prompted me to obtain one. For the princely sum of £56 my router and network are now protected against lightning and will keep working through power brown outs. Thanks!